*August Wilson’s plays are going from the stage to the radio airwaves.
New York Public Radio’s Jerome L. Greene Performance Space in New York will soon play host to all 10 of the late playwright’s works now that the Wilson estate has granted the rights to NYPR to record them as live performances, reports the New York Times.
The project will begin next year with casts and directors to be announced at a later date, according to Constanza Romero, Wilson’s widow and estate executor, and Indira Etwaroo, Greene Space’s executive producer. This is the first time such rights have been granted.
According to the report, each play will be performed as a dramatic reading in front of a live studio audience and will be recorded for the New York Public Radio archives. The recordings will also be streamed online across various websites and media outlets. The project will be executive produced by Ruben Santiago-Hudson.
Wilson’s last Broadway revival was in 2010 when Fences starring Denzel Washington and Viola Davis was mounted at the Cort Theatre. An Off Broadway revival of The Piano Lesson, directed by Santiago-Hudson, is currently in previews at New York’s Signature Center, opening Nov. 18.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Madonna Claps Back at BET - Tamar Dropped From Record Label?
- Parents of Alabama Teen Electrocuted in Lake Warns Others to 'Be Careful' (Video)
- Snoop Dogg Right on 'Roots' Remake for the Wrong Reasons (Video)
- ‘Roots’ Remake Draws 5.3M Viewers Against Record-Setting NBA Playoff Game
- What Mariah Carey Wore to ‘Live with Kelly’s’ Daytime Pajama Party (Watch)
- Pics Surface of Alleged Khloe Kardashian/Odell Beckham Jr. Hookup at Drake's Party
- Why Alicia Keys is Not Wearing Makeup These Days
- Chuck D, B-Real, Tom Morello Form New Band 'Prophets of Rage'
- Dez Bryant Salutes Spelling Bee Co-Champ Who Threw His ‘X’ Sign
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here