*August Wilson’s plays are going from the stage to the radio airwaves.
New York Public Radio’s Jerome L. Greene Performance Space in New York will soon play host to all 10 of the late playwright’s works now that the Wilson estate has granted the rights to NYPR to record them as live performances, reports the New York Times.
The project will begin next year with casts and directors to be announced at a later date, according to Constanza Romero, Wilson’s widow and estate executor, and Indira Etwaroo, Greene Space’s executive producer. This is the first time such rights have been granted.
According to the report, each play will be performed as a dramatic reading in front of a live studio audience and will be recorded for the New York Public Radio archives. The recordings will also be streamed online across various websites and media outlets. The project will be executive produced by Ruben Santiago-Hudson.
Wilson’s last Broadway revival was in 2010 when Fences starring Denzel Washington and Viola Davis was mounted at the Cort Theatre. An Off Broadway revival of The Piano Lesson, directed by Santiago-Hudson, is currently in previews at New York’s Signature Center, opening Nov. 18.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Chris Bosh & Rasheeda Appear on Tonight's 'ROSEWOOD' on FOX (Video)
- BHERC Presents 'Reel Black Men' Short Film Festival on October 24
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Gabrielle Union to Star in ‘A Meyers Christmas’ for Universal
- Matt Barnes Still Swears He Had Something With Rihanna: ‘I’m Too Grown to Lie’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here