*August Wilson’s plays are going from the stage to the radio airwaves.
New York Public Radio’s Jerome L. Greene Performance Space in New York will soon play host to all 10 of the late playwright’s works now that the Wilson estate has granted the rights to NYPR to record them as live performances, reports the New York Times.
The project will begin next year with casts and directors to be announced at a later date, according to Constanza Romero, Wilson’s widow and estate executor, and Indira Etwaroo, Greene Space’s executive producer. This is the first time such rights have been granted.
According to the report, each play will be performed as a dramatic reading in front of a live studio audience and will be recorded for the New York Public Radio archives. The recordings will also be streamed online across various websites and media outlets. The project will be executive produced by Ruben Santiago-Hudson.
Wilson’s last Broadway revival was in 2010 when Fences starring Denzel Washington and Viola Davis was mounted at the Cort Theatre. An Off Broadway revival of The Piano Lesson, directed by Santiago-Hudson, is currently in previews at New York’s Signature Center, opening Nov. 18.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ray J Issues Goes Legal on Ex-Business Partner Over Past Kim K Drama
- Beyoncé's Rep Responds to 'B.E.A.T.' Filmmakers 'Credit' Controversy
- What Should Society Do With An 11-Year-Old Murderer?
- Is This the REAL Reason Cam Walked Out of Press Conference? (WATCH)
- Misty Copeland's ‘Ballerina’s Tale’ Also Highlights the #BalletSoWhite Issue
- Ava DuVernay Being Courted to Direct Two Feature Films
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- ‘Black-ish’ To Address Police Brutality in Feb. 24 Episode
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here