*(Via Buzzfeed) – “The demographics are changing. It’s not a traditional America anymore,” a glum Bill O’Reilly said during Fox News’ Election Day coverage. “And the voters, many of them, feel that this economic system is stacked against them and they want stuff… People feel that they are entitled to things. And which candidate, between the two, is going to give them things?”
What O’Reilly — and other members of what the Fox host called the “white establishment” who are blaming Obama’s re-election on minority-group moochers — aren’t mentioning is that white Americans have their own long tradition of using voting power to get an economic leg up. O’Reilly’s own Irish-Catholic cohort is now seen as just another group that makes up the “traditional” establishment.
But when the Irish were chased to America by famine and British repression during the 19th century, they faced violent attacks from nativist groups, political cartoons caricaturing them as apes, “Help Wanted — No Irish Need Apply” signs, and a butcher knife–wielding, one-eyed Daniel Day Lewis. Desperately poor, uneducated, and barred from even menial jobs, the one tool the Irish had at their disposal was their sheer numbers — according to Daniel Patrick Moynihan and Nathan Glazer’s book Beyond the Melting Pot, by 1855, 28% of New Yorkers were Irish-born, with cities like Boston experiencing a similar surge.
The Irish turned out in droves to support urban Democratic political machines, and in return collected the Christmas turkeys and government jobs that came with their newfound power.
Read/learn more at Buzzfeed.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Woman Crashes Own Funeral, Shocking Husband Who Paid to Have Her Killed
- Coastal Town Being 'Targeted' by Great White Sharks
- NFL Great Jim Brown Celebrates 80th Birthday with Celebs and Family
- Meek Mill Sentenced to House Arrest & Six Years Probation
- Funnee: Will and Jada Called Out for Starting 'Ish' (WATCH)
- Kenya Moore Explains Why Cynthia Bailey 'Deeply Hurt Me' on 'RHOA'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here