The latest news that illustrates that fact is that the search for a new police chief has hit a snag because the city doesn’t have enough money to pay for firms to find candidates, city officials say.
The Police Department, already reeling from massive budget cuts and a high crime rate, was left without a permanent chief last month, when Ralph Godbee Jr. (pictured above) resigned after a relationship with a subordinate officer was exposed.
Assistant Chief Chester Logan has been serving as interim chief while the search for a new commanding officer is conducted.
The Board of Police Commissioners is charged with coordinating the search. Per the new city charter, the board is to submit a list of candidates to the mayor. Before voters approved revisions to the charter, the mayor simply picked the city’s top cop.
Last month, the board picked two search firms: Troy-based Empco and Detroit-based TJ Adams Staffing Services. TJ Adams was to conduct initial interviews, with Empco doing a more thorough assessment of the candidates for the job that pays up to $140,000 annually.
But the police board chairman, the Rev. Jerome Warfield, said Mayor Dave Bing’s office reneged on an agreement to sign contracts once the board picked the two search firms. The cost was expected to be about $68,000, Warfield said.
“I’m very disappointed in the way which this process is moving forward,” Warfield said Wednesday. “I personally feel the administration could’ve done a heck of a lot more to have this thing completed by now.”
Read/learn more at The Detroit News.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Comedian George Wallace: 'The Black But Equal Thing Don't Work for Us' [EUR EXCLUSIVE]
- Race and Cancer Survival: Blacks Less Likely to Survive (Writer Shares Personal Experience)
- Why Millions Would Join a Gorilla’s Lives Matter but Not Black Lives Matter
- Minor League Baseball Team to Honor Prince in Special 'Purple Game, Purple Game'
- Taraji P. Henson Among Honorees at Women in Film’s Crystal + Lucy Awards
- Dwayne Johnson to Play Action Hero Lead in ‘Doc Savage’
- Pres. Obama Edited to Sing Rihanna’s ‘Work’ (Watch)
- Rapper Troy Ave Pleads Not Guilty in T.I. Concert Shooting
- Jack Hanna Agrees '1,000 Percent' with Killing of Gorilla Harambe (Watch)
- Prince Sets Billboard 200 Record More Than a Month After Death
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here