The latest news that illustrates that fact is that the search for a new police chief has hit a snag because the city doesn’t have enough money to pay for firms to find candidates, city officials say.
The Police Department, already reeling from massive budget cuts and a high crime rate, was left without a permanent chief last month, when Ralph Godbee Jr. (pictured above) resigned after a relationship with a subordinate officer was exposed.
Assistant Chief Chester Logan has been serving as interim chief while the search for a new commanding officer is conducted.
The Board of Police Commissioners is charged with coordinating the search. Per the new city charter, the board is to submit a list of candidates to the mayor. Before voters approved revisions to the charter, the mayor simply picked the city’s top cop.
Last month, the board picked two search firms: Troy-based Empco and Detroit-based TJ Adams Staffing Services. TJ Adams was to conduct initial interviews, with Empco doing a more thorough assessment of the candidates for the job that pays up to $140,000 annually.
But the police board chairman, the Rev. Jerome Warfield, said Mayor Dave Bing’s office reneged on an agreement to sign contracts once the board picked the two search firms. The cost was expected to be about $68,000, Warfield said.
“I’m very disappointed in the way which this process is moving forward,” Warfield said Wednesday. “I personally feel the administration could’ve done a heck of a lot more to have this thing completed by now.”
Read/learn more at The Detroit News.
- DC’s NFL Team: RG3 Demoted; DeSean Jackson Pisses Off Women
- Hulk Hogan Says He Was Suicidal Over N-Word Scandal: ‘I'm Not A Racist’ (Watch)
- Producers of Katrina Relief Telethon Reflect on 'Kanye Moment' for 10th Anniversary
- Allergic to Clothes: Indian Farmer Has Been Naked for 40 Years!
- Pres. Obama to Appear on NBC’s ‘Running Wild With Bear Grylls’…For Real
- John Legend Taking His Talents to ‘The SpongeBob Musical’
- ‘Back to This B**ch’: Why Nicki Minaj Checked Miley Cyrus on Live TV
- Black Twitter Drags Rebel Wilson Over VMA ‘Stripper Police’ Bit
- Nile Rodgers Gets BMI Icon Award - EUR was on the Scene (WATCH)
- New Comic 'Raising Dion': Single, Black Mother with Superhuman Son
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here