The latest news that illustrates that fact is that the search for a new police chief has hit a snag because the city doesn’t have enough money to pay for firms to find candidates, city officials say.
The Police Department, already reeling from massive budget cuts and a high crime rate, was left without a permanent chief last month, when Ralph Godbee Jr. (pictured above) resigned after a relationship with a subordinate officer was exposed.
Assistant Chief Chester Logan has been serving as interim chief while the search for a new commanding officer is conducted.
The Board of Police Commissioners is charged with coordinating the search. Per the new city charter, the board is to submit a list of candidates to the mayor. Before voters approved revisions to the charter, the mayor simply picked the city’s top cop.
Last month, the board picked two search firms: Troy-based Empco and Detroit-based TJ Adams Staffing Services. TJ Adams was to conduct initial interviews, with Empco doing a more thorough assessment of the candidates for the job that pays up to $140,000 annually.
But the police board chairman, the Rev. Jerome Warfield, said Mayor Dave Bing’s office reneged on an agreement to sign contracts once the board picked the two search firms. The cost was expected to be about $68,000, Warfield said.
“I’m very disappointed in the way which this process is moving forward,” Warfield said Wednesday. “I personally feel the administration could’ve done a heck of a lot more to have this thing completed by now.”
Read/learn more at The Detroit News.
- Cheryl Burke Quits as Miss USA Co-Host Over Trump’s Comments
- Lester Holt Tops Ratings in 1st Week as Official ‘Nightly News’ Anchor
- First Look: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Julia Roberts in ‘Secret in Their Eyes’ (Trailer)
- Halle Berry on Leaving Modeling for Acting: ‘It Took Me Years to Build Respect’
- Victoria Rowell Wants Back on ‘The Young and the Restless’?
- Are We Bananas or is This Dude One Handsome Gorilla?
- Essence Expands Digital Programming with 'Live from the Essence Festival'
- Cops Called to Bobbi Kristina’s Hospice Over Family Fights
- Mexico Won’t Send Contestant to Miss Universe Due to Donald Trump
- Misty Copeland Named 1st Black Female Principal Dancer at American Ballet Theatre
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here