The latest news that illustrates that fact is that the search for a new police chief has hit a snag because the city doesn’t have enough money to pay for firms to find candidates, city officials say.
The Police Department, already reeling from massive budget cuts and a high crime rate, was left without a permanent chief last month, when Ralph Godbee Jr. (pictured above) resigned after a relationship with a subordinate officer was exposed.
Assistant Chief Chester Logan has been serving as interim chief while the search for a new commanding officer is conducted.
The Board of Police Commissioners is charged with coordinating the search. Per the new city charter, the board is to submit a list of candidates to the mayor. Before voters approved revisions to the charter, the mayor simply picked the city’s top cop.
Last month, the board picked two search firms: Troy-based Empco and Detroit-based TJ Adams Staffing Services. TJ Adams was to conduct initial interviews, with Empco doing a more thorough assessment of the candidates for the job that pays up to $140,000 annually.
But the police board chairman, the Rev. Jerome Warfield, said Mayor Dave Bing’s office reneged on an agreement to sign contracts once the board picked the two search firms. The cost was expected to be about $68,000, Warfield said.
“I’m very disappointed in the way which this process is moving forward,” Warfield said Wednesday. “I personally feel the administration could’ve done a heck of a lot more to have this thing completed by now.”
Read/learn more at The Detroit News.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Bill Cosby Accuser Drops Defamation Lawsuit, But Still 'In Solidarity' With Alleged Victims
- Trolls Trying to Insult Steph Curry's 3-Year-Old Daughter Mistakenly Tweet Grown Man (See His Response)
- Larenz Tate, Mike Colter Join Queen Latifah’s ‘Girl Trip’
- TV Academy Sues Over Whitney Houston's Illegal Emmy Auction
- While Supreme Court Guts 4th Amendment, Black America left hypnotized by the NBA and Lebron James
- Mahershala Ali: The 'Free State of Jones' Interview with Kam Williams
- R. Kelly’s Ex-Wife Drea Takes Twerking to a New Level...And In a Floor Length Skirt (Watch)
- Broadway’s ‘Shuffle Along’ to Close With Audra McDonald’s Maternity Exit
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here