The Los Angeles, California-based orthopedic surgeon says that the old adage is more relevant than ever during the holiday season.
“We know that many times common illnesses that plague our community such as diabetes, stroke and hypertension are preventable. Good food choices and daily exercise are really preventive medicine,” said Harrison (aka Dr. Levi) to his LA Talk Live radio audience.
According to Harrison, we need to pay special attention to our health before the holiday season, which he calls the Season of Eating.
“For most of us, Fall is the time for being indoors more often and relaxing with comfort foods. Then the holidays hit (the ‘Season of Eating), and we are told it’s okay to enjoy ourselves because its the holidays. But when you’re not making mindful eating and drinking decisions, it’s like playing Russian Roulette with your health;” said Harrison, who is a medical doctor, a fitness expert, a personal trainer and the author of the new book “The Art of Fitness: A Journey to Self Enhancement.”
“We see more emergency room situations where conditions such as hypertension and glucose levels go haywire during the holidays. People want to relax and not think about fitness and health, but that’s the time we should be most focused on it in order to prevent some of the adverse effects of these conditions; which could result in death.” Harrison said.
Dr. Harrison also stresses this point: “Now is the time, before the holidays, to commit to lifestyle changes through diet and exercise. Don’t wait until January. Do it now!”
Dr. Harrison is quick to acknowledge: “What you want are lifestyle changes. So, when the holidays come around, you will actually be craving a baked sweet potato instead of sweet potato pie. We have to consider making the Season of Eating, the Season of Exercising.”
“The Art of Fitness: A Journey to Self Enhancement” is available in bookstores everywhere and at www.theartoffitnessbook.com, Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble. To connect with Dr. Harrison, Like him on Facebook at www.facebook.com/drleviharrison and follow him on Twitter @drleviharrison.
- Rachel Dolezal is Pregnant
- THE (09-02-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Nicki Minaj Wax Figure Getting Makeover After Fans Pressure Museum
- 'Selfish' Kardashians Being Sued Over Disruptive Fireworks Show
- Who T-Pain, Vic Mensa & A$AP Rocky Wanna Collab With (WATCH)
- Lorraine Toussaint Talks Playing Morris Chestnut’s Mama on ‘Rosewood’
- O.J. Simpson Fuming: Women Have Stopped Sending Him Commissary Money
- Gospel Sensation Naomi B Releases New Single, ‘Break Free’ (LISTEN)
- White Police Chief Gets Home Detention for Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here