*ATLANTA – The Urban League of Greater Atlanta announced today that NBA legend and business entrepreneur Earvin “Magic” Johnson will accept the “EOD Business Champion of the Year” Award and join the distinguished roster of honorees at its 51st Annual Equal Opportunity Day Dinner and Gala that will take place at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis Hotel Ballroom, Saturday, Dec. 1, 2012 at 7 pm. This year’s theme is “Celebrating Champions of Job Creation.”
“I am deeply honored to receive the Business Champion of the Year Award from the Urban League of Greater Atlanta, an organization that I have always respected and admired for the work it does to empower communities and support families to achieve economic empowerment. I look forward to joining the League and its distinguished guests at the dinner,” Earvin “Magic” Johnson said.
As Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Magic Johnson Enterprises, Johnson oversees a conglomerate that includes Canyon Johnson, a $1 billion real estate fund, Yucaipa Johnson, a $500 million private equity fund, ASPiRE, a TV network that celebrates the African-American experience and showcases the next generation of talent and game changers, SodexoMAGIC, Magic Airport Holdings, Best Buy, T.G.I. Friday’s Restaurant, Inner City Broadcasting Corporation, Detroit Venture Partners, Magic Johnson Bridgescape, and Vibe Holdings, LLC.
“We are thrilled to have Mr. Johnson join us as we celebrate and honor his business success and commitment to community and economic empowerment of urban communities and families along with our other distinguished honorees,” Nancy Flake Johnson, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Urban League of Greater Atlanta, said. “We are excited that he has chosen Atlanta as the home base for two of his most recent ventures: the ASPiRE network and the Magic Johnson Bridgescape, an education center for out-of-school and at-risk youth.”
The Equal Opportunity Day Dinner and Gala recognizes corporations, organizations and individuals who champion equal opportunities for African-Americans and others in underserved communities.
“Magic Johnson is a successful brand strategist for corporations seeking a relationship with the urban market, and he is a catalyst for those companies to invest into underserved communities with sustainable jobs,” Gala Chair and Liquid Soul Principal and Chief Marketing Officer Nick Nelson, said. “It is a privilege to recognize a man who exemplifies long-standing efforts to economically empower the African-American community.”
The EOD Dinner and Gala also will honor:
- The HJ Russell Family: Family Heritage Champion Award
- Macy’s: Program Partner Champion Award
- Wells Fargo: Supplier Diversity Champion Award
- R. Lawrence Ashe Jr.: Legacy Champion Award
- Usher’s New Look Foundation: Community Service Champion Award
- Chaka Zulu: Emerging Business Champion Award
- Young Professionals and Guild: League Auxiliary Champions Awards
Tickets are $150 for members and $200 for nonmembers. For table reservations, sponsorship and individual tickets please contact Dottie Johnson at 404-659-6580 or visit www.ulgatl.org.
About the Urban League of Greater Atlanta
Founded in 1920, The Urban League of Greater Atlanta is a civil rights organization dedicated to economic empowerment. For 92 years, the mission of the Urban League of Greater Atlanta is to empower communities and change lives by enabling African Americans and others to achieve their highest human potential and secure economic self-reliance, parity, power and civil rights. The Urban League of Greater Atlanta is one of 97 affiliates in 36 states and the District of Columbia.
For more information, call 404-659-1150 or visit the website: http://www.ulgatl.org.
Urban League of Greater Atlanta
- Nick Gordon's Defense in Bobbi Kristina Case: Drugs Responsible
- Man Breaks Down After Recognizing Judge As Former Classmate (WATCH)
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here