Spike TV honored him with a night of laughter, hilarious stories, and skits on Saturday (Nov. 3)
; during the “Eddie Murphy: One Night Only” event at the Saban Theater.
Arsenio Hall, Tracy Morgan, Adam Sandler and Russell Brand had the crowd in stitches with never-before-told stories, while The Roots set the mood as the house band.
“I am a very, very bitter man,” he said with that trademarked smile. “I don’t get touched easily, and I am really touched.”
Tracy had the punch line of the night, calling Eddie his comic hero, and busted out on stage with a replica of that terrible red leather suit the old man wore during his standup show “Delirious.”
“He set the tone for the whole industry a long time ago,” Morgan said before Saturday’s tribute. “He inspired me in a fearless way.”
One must be fearless … or straight up crazy … to wear a suit like that (see it below).
After all the funny comments, honors, and reflections, Eddie had a few words of his own: “I’m just a retired old song and dance man,” he said, adding that he only makes rare appearances these days. “That’s what you do when you’re retired: You come out every now and then and talk about the old days.”
“This is really a touching moving thing, and I really appreciate it,” he said. “You know what it’s like when you have something like this? You know when they sing happy birthday to you? It’s like that for, like, two hours… and I am Eddied out.”
Jamie Foxx, Tyler Perry, Martin Lawrence, Chris Rock and Keenan Ivory Wayans were also among those who paid tribute.
Murphy joined the subject of one of his most classic impressions for a rousing rendition of Wonder’s 1973 hit “Higher Ground” during the taping of the Spike TV special “Eddie Murphy: One Night Only,” which is set to air Nov. 14.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- OMG! Did Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, Really Respond to My Friendly 'Hello?'
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Prince Update: Family Gifted Big Bucks by George Lopez
- Latice Crawford Releases ‘Diary of a Church Girl’ May 20
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here