Spike TV honored him with a night of laughter, hilarious stories, and skits on Saturday (Nov. 3)
; during the “Eddie Murphy: One Night Only” event at the Saban Theater.
Arsenio Hall, Tracy Morgan, Adam Sandler and Russell Brand had the crowd in stitches with never-before-told stories, while The Roots set the mood as the house band.
“I am a very, very bitter man,” he said with that trademarked smile. “I don’t get touched easily, and I am really touched.”
Tracy had the punch line of the night, calling Eddie his comic hero, and busted out on stage with a replica of that terrible red leather suit the old man wore during his standup show “Delirious.”
“He set the tone for the whole industry a long time ago,” Morgan said before Saturday’s tribute. “He inspired me in a fearless way.”
One must be fearless … or straight up crazy … to wear a suit like that (see it below).
After all the funny comments, honors, and reflections, Eddie had a few words of his own: “I’m just a retired old song and dance man,” he said, adding that he only makes rare appearances these days. “That’s what you do when you’re retired: You come out every now and then and talk about the old days.”
“This is really a touching moving thing, and I really appreciate it,” he said. “You know what it’s like when you have something like this? You know when they sing happy birthday to you? It’s like that for, like, two hours… and I am Eddied out.”
Jamie Foxx, Tyler Perry, Martin Lawrence, Chris Rock and Keenan Ivory Wayans were also among those who paid tribute.
Murphy joined the subject of one of his most classic impressions for a rousing rendition of Wonder’s 1973 hit “Higher Ground” during the taping of the Spike TV special “Eddie Murphy: One Night Only,” which is set to air Nov. 14.
- NYC Mayor: Officials 'Reviewing' Donald Trump's City Contracts
- Robin Thicke Distracted by Marriage Fail During ‘Blurred Lines’ Lawsuit
- Sherri Shepherd Settles Custody Battle with Lamar Sally
- Bobbi Kristina was Taken to Chicago; Ricky Bell Tries to Comfort Bobby
- Duh! New Gun-Shaped iPhone Case: Scary, Stupid, Dumb, Dangerous Idea
- Geraldo Blames Kendrick Lamar for Damaging Young Black Males
- Steven Spielberg Reduces The Rock to a 'Big Ass Kid' with Personal Letter
- Black Confederate Flag Defender Believes Slavery was a ‘Choice’ (WATCH)
- Robertson Treatment Syndicated Column (RTSC): Black Lives Matter Interview with Lucy McBath
- Congresswoman Waters Applauds U.S.-Cuba Agreement to Open Embassies
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here