Spike TV honored him with a night of laughter, hilarious stories, and skits on Saturday (Nov. 3)
; during the “Eddie Murphy: One Night Only” event at the Saban Theater.
Arsenio Hall, Tracy Morgan, Adam Sandler and Russell Brand had the crowd in stitches with never-before-told stories, while The Roots set the mood as the house band.
“I am a very, very bitter man,” he said with that trademarked smile. “I don’t get touched easily, and I am really touched.”
Tracy had the punch line of the night, calling Eddie his comic hero, and busted out on stage with a replica of that terrible red leather suit the old man wore during his standup show “Delirious.”
“He set the tone for the whole industry a long time ago,” Morgan said before Saturday’s tribute. “He inspired me in a fearless way.”
One must be fearless … or straight up crazy … to wear a suit like that (see it below).
After all the funny comments, honors, and reflections, Eddie had a few words of his own: “I’m just a retired old song and dance man,” he said, adding that he only makes rare appearances these days. “That’s what you do when you’re retired: You come out every now and then and talk about the old days.”
“This is really a touching moving thing, and I really appreciate it,” he said. “You know what it’s like when you have something like this? You know when they sing happy birthday to you? It’s like that for, like, two hours… and I am Eddied out.”
Jamie Foxx, Tyler Perry, Martin Lawrence, Chris Rock and Keenan Ivory Wayans were also among those who paid tribute.
Murphy joined the subject of one of his most classic impressions for a rousing rendition of Wonder’s 1973 hit “Higher Ground” during the taping of the Spike TV special “Eddie Murphy: One Night Only,” which is set to air Nov. 14.
- Piano Man: Tyler Perry Buys Nat King Cole's Steinway for $150k
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here