Jam has worked with everyone from Prince, New Edition, Whitney Houston, and Mariah Carey. Of course Jimmy and his main dude Terry Lewis’ main claim to fame is being the magic behind Janet Jackson in her hey-day. Jimmy Jam shared with us what it’s like working with Janet and how she has influenced artist like Kelly Rowland (whom he is in the studio with now).
He also told us about how Soul Train has influenced him, who taught Michael Jackson how to Moon Walk and what he dreamed of being when he was a child.
Here are a few excerpts from the interview …
On Soul Train:
“For me it was the way to learn about the dances, to hear the talent, to see the talent..um, it was indelible in my memory watching the Soul Train shows and stuff. And then to grow up and actually have the chance to be on the show with my band The Time, it was so surreal that some guys from Minneapolis were gonna be on Soul Train.”
On Janet Jackson:
“It’s a great team effort….We were really blessed to actually meet Janet. She happened to be a fan of The Time, that’s where we met her, backstage at a Time concert. When me and Terry started producing, she wanted us to produce her and that was the nicest thing because we wanted to produce her. It was a mutual thing.”
On Kelly Rowland:
“We’re in the studio right now with Kelly Rowland and Janet was her girl! She just loves Janet and she says that’s the reason she wanted to do music.”
Watch the interview below for more:
Tune in to the Soul Train Awards this Sunday, November 25 at 8pm E/P on BET and Centric
- Snoop Dogg Has Over $200K Seized at Italian Airport
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’: The Most Important Film of the Year
- Bobbi Kristina and Whitney: Reunited in Death; Buried Side by Side
- Will Smith Makes it Clear: 'Jada and I are NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!'
- Melba Moore Defends Bill Cosby: 'Nobody's Perfect' (WATCH)
- Bobby Brown's Wife Alicia Etheredge Suffers Seizure After Funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Hump Nails: Yay or Hell to the Nah! (Provide Your Own Fun Captions for Jellybean Win!)
- Ice-T & Coco Talk New Baby, New Talk Show and Breeding Out Racism
- Drama Developing: Bobbi Kristina Casket Pic Sold for Over $100K
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here