Now songstress India.Arie went all the way in about the controversial situation, which is being slapped all over the blogosphere.
When asked what she thought about the casting choice, she said it wasn’t her place to judge. However, when she saw the images, she went off in a letter posted on NinaSimone.com.
“Yes there should be a movie made, and yes they should have chosen someone who looks like Nina Simone, especially since her race played such a pivotal role in who, what and why, she was,” India said, adding that the make up and whole giddup looks straight up “weird.”
“Does not the one Nina Simone legacy deserve better than this? If they were going to pick a person who looks nothing like Nina Simone … why not her daughter Simone *shrug* just saying …” she proposed.
She likened the snippets of what she’s seen of the filmmaking process to a parody and explained that they make her feel “sad.”
What about India playing the role?
Well, allegedly there’s been chatter about that in the past, but nothing ever came up. However, despite the ridicule she released via the letter, the singer is open to the possibility that Zoe was spiritually called to play the role.
She concluded her message saying “Viola Davis should be playing Nina Simone.”
- Hasselbeck: Sandra Bland Could've Used Cigarette as a Weapon (WATCH)
- Ralkina Jones: 3rd Black Woman in Two Weeks to Die in Jail Cell
- Rapper Styles P Reveals Daughter Committed Suicide
- Hulk Hogan Wonders Why Obama Can Use N-Word and Not Him in Retweet
- Joe Jackson Alert, Feeling Good After Stroke, Heart Attacks
- Stan Sheppard: 'Why Do A&R Directors Positions Still Exist?'
- Dr. Rosie Milligan: It's Time for Black Leadership to Make Sense
- Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone and Others Portrayed in 'A Night With Janis Joplin'
- The Socialist's Journal: Derek Luke
- Bobby Brown Speaks On Bobbi Kristina’s Death
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here