It’s unfortunate that your performance is so believable that some who cannot separate what’s intended as entertainment from actuality have called for a boycott.
As you know your depiction of ‘Whip’ Whitaker has created quite a buzz. One blogger wrote in effect, the energy used to perpetuate a boycott of the movie would be better spent doing some community volunteer work, mentoring our misguided youth, or writing (calling) a complaint to your state representative about the ‘congressional malpractice’ we’ve seen these last four years. Instead – because of the instantaneous platform through social media – some people seem to derive meaning and substance for their lives from idle chit-chat and gossip.
Acting is acting and should be viewed just like any other vocation. I’ll venture to guess that most of those who choose to boycott don’t turn the channel on their favorite sports games and they know some of the athletes are actually living (not acting) the lifestyle you portrayed that they find so offensive. There are many celebrities out there pulling the ‘Whip.’
So Denzel, keep up the good work. I hope all the buzz, good or bad, translates into more revenue and rewards for a job well done.
Larry Buford is a Los Angeles-based songwriter and freelance article writer. He’s also the author of “Things Are Gettin’ Outta Hand” (Steuben Pub) www.amazon.com. Articles frequently appear (among others) in the Los Angeles Sentinel Op-Ed section. Visit the author at www.larrybuford.com. Or call him at: 213-20-8101.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Will Smith Planning Political Run 'In The Near Future'
- Angie Stone Recalls the Time She Passed on Dating Idris Elba
- 3 Things to Do NOW to Transform Your Life (WATCH)
- The Kobie Chronicles: 'Red, White & Baltimore' Premiere As Freddie Gray Trials Commence
- Lamar Odom's Lucky Break: Prosecution for Cocaine Possession Unlikely
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here