*Comedy legend Mel Brooks said had to call Richard Pryor and get his blessing while making his cult movie “Blazing Saddles” because there were so many jokes surrounding the N word.
The moviemaker admits he was so worried about upsetting black people with the language in the film, that he needed the comedian’s blessing for gags about the plot’s African-American sheriff, played by Cleavon Little. [Scroll down to watch.]
“We used the ‘N’ word a lot, so I called Richard and I said, ‘Richard, I need you to bless the ‘N’ word’,” Brooks told Jimmy Kimmel. He added that the film is so politically incorrect, it could not be made today.
“They (censors) wouldn’t let you (make it)… When we had a preview… there was a guy running the studio… and he was going with a girl, his fiancee, and they had this preview and people went crazy; they laughed, they enjoyed it. He grabs me by the collar and shoves me into the manager’s office… and he says, ‘Ok, here’s a legal pad, here’s a pencil, take these notes.’
“He says, ‘N word. Out…! We don’t say it.’ He said, ‘No punching a horse…! Around the campfire, cut out the farting… You can’t punch an old lady…’ I said, ‘Yes sir, it’s gone. It never happened. Come back tomorrow and it’s all out of the movie.’ He leaves and I crunch it (note paper) up and I go all the way across the room and put it in the waste basket.
“I had final cut, so I said, ‘What do I care?'”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here