*CBS News is reporting that the US ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice, has broken her silence about the controversial remarks she made back in September regarding the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya in which ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed.
Rice defended her comments in which she said the Benghazi attacks did not appear pre-planned. She said that reflected the best intelligence at the time.
“I relied soley and squarely on the information provided to me by the intelligence community,” she said. “I made clear that the information was preliminary and that our investigations would give us the definitive answers.”
RELATED STORY: The GOP’s bizarre attack on Susan Rice
But intelligence officials told Congress last week they knew almost from the start that Benghazi was likely the work of terrorists, perhaps affiliated with al Qaeda.
In an appearance on “Face the Nation” five days after the attack, Rice gave no hint of that.
“We do not have information at present that leads us to conclude that this was pre-mediated or pre-planned,” Rice said at the time.
But Republican Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham aren’t buying it and have led the call for a special committee to investigate.
“I was on “Face the Nation” the morning she came on and told that incredible story and right after the president of the Libyan National Assembly said it was al Qaeda, and yet she never changed her story,” McCain said on “CBS This Morning” last week.
Read/learn more at CBS News.
Watch this CBS News report for more info including her response to Senator John McCain:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Rookie Cop Beats Handcuffed Woman & it's Caught on Camera! (WATCH)
- Prince Death Probe: Authorities Looking for 'Friendly' Docs who Prescribed Pills
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here