*Recordings by Richard Pryor, Whitney Houston, James Brown and Ray Charles are among the 27 that will be added to the Grammy Hall of Fame this year for its 40th anniversary.
Charles’ “Hit the Road Jack,” Brown’s “I Feel Good” and Houston’s self-titled 1985 will join other historic recordings in the Hall, including Richard Pryor’s 1974 comedy album “That Nig**r’s Crazy,” “On Broadway” by the Drifters, the 1930 blues single “My Black Mama” by Son House, the 1963 jazz album “John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman,” “Hound Dog” from Willie Mae “Big Mama” Thornton and “Here’s Little Richard” from 1957.
“With the Grammy Hall of Fame celebrating 40 years, it’s especially important to note that these entries continue the tradition of inducting a wide variety of recordings that have inspired and influenced both fans and music makers for generations,” said Neil Portnow, President/CEO of The Recording Academy. “Memorable for being both culturally and historically significant, we are proud to add them to our growing catalog of outstanding recordings that have become part of our musical, social, and cultural history.”
The growing collection on display at the Grammy Museum at LA Live now includes a total of 933 recordings. The albums and singles chosen this year are all at least 25 years old, and were selected to exhibit qualitative or historical significance.
- Fellas Define Feminism At MTV VMAs (Watch)
- Ten Years After Hurricane Katrina: Changing Hearts, Minds and Systems in New Orleans
- Eunice Moseley Featured Expert in Dr. Logan Westbrooks’ ‘The Anatomy of the Music Industry’
- Best Ranking of the Most Badass Fictional Weapons
- THE (09-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Deya Direct Takes the Man Whisperer Conversation to the Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion!
- Student Who Made Light of Deputy's Death Online, and Showed Support for #Blacklivesmatter, Arrested
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts
- Teyana Taylor Expecting First Child with Iman Shumpert
- Cynthia Bailey Could Be Demoted on 'Housewives' for Kicking Porsha
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here