*Recordings by Richard Pryor, Whitney Houston, James Brown and Ray Charles are among the 27 that will be added to the Grammy Hall of Fame this year for its 40th anniversary.
Charles’ “Hit the Road Jack,” Brown’s “I Feel Good” and Houston’s self-titled 1985 will join other historic recordings in the Hall, including Richard Pryor’s 1974 comedy album “That Nig**r’s Crazy,” “On Broadway” by the Drifters, the 1930 blues single “My Black Mama” by Son House, the 1963 jazz album “John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman,” “Hound Dog” from Willie Mae “Big Mama” Thornton and “Here’s Little Richard” from 1957.
“With the Grammy Hall of Fame celebrating 40 years, it’s especially important to note that these entries continue the tradition of inducting a wide variety of recordings that have inspired and influenced both fans and music makers for generations,” said Neil Portnow, President/CEO of The Recording Academy. “Memorable for being both culturally and historically significant, we are proud to add them to our growing catalog of outstanding recordings that have become part of our musical, social, and cultural history.”
The growing collection on display at the Grammy Museum at LA Live now includes a total of 933 recordings. The albums and singles chosen this year are all at least 25 years old, and were selected to exhibit qualitative or historical significance.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Not Impressed: Man Reads Book at Beyonce Concert (WATCH)
- White Woman (Samantha Niemann) Sues Diversity Program for 'Discrimination'
- Larry Wilmore Doesn't Expect to be 'Invited Back' to WHCD
- April Jobs Report: Only 160,000 Positions Added
- Sinead O'Connor Being Sued By Arsenio Hall for Defamation
- Senator Oscar Braynon Presents 4th Choice Challenge
- THE (05-06-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ralph Fiennes and Tilda Swinton Are Tortured Souls in 'A Bigger Splash'
- Ashanti Produces New Film ('Mothers and Daughters') with Superstar Cast (Watch)
- Birdman on 'Respek' Trending & Confronting The Breakfast Club
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here