*”Good Morning America” host Robin Roberts is back at home after a week in the hospital for a latent virus that had not responded to medication.
“Our immune systems usually take care of a virus like this … but mine is only 59 days old,” Roberts, who had a bone marrow transplant on Sept. 20, wrote in a post called “Home Sweet Home: Part II.”
Roberts, who had undergone breast cancer treatment five years ago, was diagnosed this year with a rare blood disorder, myelodysplastic syndrome. Her sister Sally-Ann Roberts, a broadcast journalist at WWL-TV in New Orleans, donated her healthy stem cells for Roberts’s transplant. Her own cells were destroyed by the chemotherapy that was a part of her treatment.
“Physically I felt fine but being back in the hospital took an emotional toll on me,” Roberts wrote of her most recent visit. “The wonderful doctors, nurses and support staff lifted my spirits. … It was comforting seeing them again.”
Sally-Ann flew to New York and interviewed her before Roberts was discharged from the hospital on Friday night. The segment will be broadcast on “GMA” Tuesday morning.
Roberts also recently Tweeted back and forth with Miss America contestant Allyn Rose, who decided she will undergo a double mastectomy as a preventative measure after learning she carries the same chromosomal disease as her late mother, who died of breast cancer.
“Proud of Miss DC @AllynRose, being proactive in fighting breast cancer,” Roberts Tweeted on Monday morning. “Admire your courage & candor sharing your decision w/ us. Blessings.”
Responded Rose, 24, “@RobinRoberts Thank you so much! You’ve been such an inspiration to me. Good thing you weren’t here today. I might have fainted. #Starstruck”
- 'Peanuts' Celebrates its First African American Character, Franklin
- Kevin Hart Talks Homophobia & Race with Rolling Stone
- White House Petitioned to Extradite Dentist that Killed 'Cecil the Lion'
- Ciara Takes 'Presidential' Route on Janet Tribute, Mom and Men
- Sad: William ‘Refrigerator’ Perry Auctioning Off Super Bowl Ring
- 'Basketball Wives' Star Tami Roman Suffers Miscarriage
- Bobbi Kristina’s Brother Comes Down on 'Morbid' Twitter Followers
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Tons of Laughs with Vacation; Stars Ed Helms and Christina Applegate as the Griswolds
- James Arawole Launches Crowdfunding Campaign for Young Adult Novel on Struggles of Black Teens Living with Type-1 Diabetes
- With Iran Deal in Trouble, White House Reaching Out to Liberals for Support
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here