Now that the dust has settled and the excitement has died down a bit, the 9-year-old actress had a chance to share about her feelings during the whirlwind in an interview with the Associated Press.
“I actually had to learn what an Oscar was,” Quvenzhane said over a lunch of fried shrimp and crawfish at her favorite seafood restaurant in her hometown of Houma, La., about 60 miles southeast of New Orleans in bayou country.
“Beasts” debuted at Sundance earlier this year, capturing audiences for its raw performances and the fourth grader’s ability to translate her character so well.
Quvenzhane had never acted before and wasn’t really familiar with much on television. Now she’s got a New Hollywood Award, which was presented in Beverly Hills last month.
“I’m just like, OK I got an award, nice to know. And then I just go back to what I do,” she said.
She still leads a normal life, cheerleading and going to school, where her favorite subject is math.
Read the full interview at theGrio.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (05-25-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Report: Tamar's Attitude Towards ('The Real') Producers Did Her in
- Ringside Update / A Triple Boxing Championship Weekend
- Soulja Boy Exaggerated $400M Payday from World Poker Fund
- Skai Jackson On Being Meme Worthy and Beef with Azealia Banks
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- ‘The Real’: Loni Love, Jeannie Mai Show Love to Former Co-host Tamar Braxton
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here