The NY Daily News is reporting that Jovan Belcher’s mother has angrily denied a report that claimed she told investigators that her son had argued with his girlfriend about the paternity of their baby before he shot her dead and killed himself.
“It’s a lie. It’s all a lie,” Cheryl Shepherd told the Daily News on Friday. “That’s my grandbaby and it was wrong for them to put that out there. That is Jovan’s baby and it is my grandbaby.”
The New York Post, citing an unnamed law-enforcement source and an anonymous Kansas City Chiefs insider, reported that Shepherd told authorities that the couple had argued over the paternity of 3-month old Zoey on the morning of Dec. 1. That would have been right before the Chiefs linebacker shot Kasandra Perkins, then drove to Arrowhead Stadium, where he shot and killed himself in front of the team’s general manager, head coach and an assistant coach.
Shepherd, from West Babylon, L.I., was at Belcher’s Kansas City home when Perkins was shot, and made a desperate 911 call in an attempt to save her.
She told The News there was never an argument about the identity of the child’s biological father.
“I never said that,” she said. “You are hearing it from the horse’s mouth. Zoey is Jovan’s baby and my grandbaby. I have never had any doubt.”
Earlier we reported …
*According to the NY Post, the mother of late Kansas City Chiefs football player Jovan Belcher, told investigators her son argued with his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins over their baby’s paternity before he shot her dead and killed himself.
Cheryl Shepherd — who was in her son’s suburban Missouri home the morning he shot Perkins nine times — told investigators after the shootings that there were questions about whether the West Babylon, LI-raised linebacker was the father of the couple’s 3-month-old daughter, Zoey, said sources familiar with the situation.
“The mother believed that there was an issue over whether [Belcher] was the father,” said a source close to the Chiefs with knowledge of the situation.
“She said he [believed he] wasn’t necessarily the father of the child.”
A Kansas City law-enforcement source confirmed, “She told [police] there was a question about the paternity.”
It’s unclear if the paternity issue was the reason for the final, violent end of the troubled relationship between Belcher, 25, and Perkins, 22.
“But the implication was that [paternity] was what the two of them were fighting about — that the baby might not have been his,” a source said.
Read/learn more at NY Post.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Zoo Director on Why Gorilla Was Killed and Not Tranquilized
- Activist Najee Ali Calling for Boycott of New 'Block Wars' App by The Game
- Disgraced Cop Daniel Hotlzclaw Denies Raping Poor Black Women
- First Listen: Half Mile Home's 'Thinking of Me'
- Big Boi Meme Comparing Mothers of Today & 70s Causes Black Twitter Outrage
- Eve Says She Had to 'Import' to Find Love
- Laverne Cox Responds to Her ‘Rocky Horror’ Reboot Critics
- Seniors Get In Formation for 'Lemonade,' Pittsburgh Police Resist
- Black Lives Matter Echoes the Evolution of Black Panther Party
- BLM Activist Charles Wade Charged With Pimping 17-Year-Old Girl
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here