*(Los Angeles, CA) — Saturday night, award winning rapper Big Sean announced at his headlining show at famed concert venue The Palace in Auburn Hills, that he has launched the Sean Anderson Foundation, a Michigan non-profit corporation. This big announcement was shared right before Sean gave his proud city the performance of a lifetime, which included bringing surprise guests Kanye West, Common, J.Cole, Pusha T, Mike Posner and Teyana Taylor on stage.
Detroit, like many other cities, has experienced national economic crisis, however it was against this backdrop that 24-year old Sean Anderson honed his skills as an entertainer, starting to rap as a 12-year old at the progressive Waldorf School in Detroit before enjoying stardom as an award winning artist signed to mentor Kanye West’s G.O.O.D. Music / Def Jam imprint. With success, Sean feels a responsibility give back to his community and inspire others to achieve their dreams.
“The mission of the Sean Anderson Foundation is to assist in the education, health, safety and well-being of Detroit area school-aged youth,” says Big Sean. “I want to use my awareness to improve the situations in our school systems in particular. Many schools in Detroit have been closing or are in danger of closing. My school played an integral part of making me the man I am today and without that education and extra care, I don’t know where I would be today. So, I just want to help support the well being of young people in anyway that I can.”
Since the release of his debut CD ‘Finally Famous’ in 2011, Anderson has garnered international acclaim which includes being named ‘Hottest Rookie’ by GQ and ‘Best New Artist’ at the 2012 BET Music Awards. Despite Detroit’s battered public image, Sean has always proudly claimed Detroit as his hometown and extols its virtues publicly in his music and even in his most recent interviews while promoting his forthcoming sophomore album titled ‘Hall of Fame’ which is slated for a Spring 2013 release.
Headquartered in the motor city, the Sean Anderson Foundation’s activities are run by the organization’s officers and board of directors appointed by Sean and his mother Myra Anderson who serves as the President.
For more information on the Sean Anderson Foundation visit http://seanandersonfoundation.org
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dencia Drags MLK into Skin Whitening War with LisaRaye (WATCH)
- Is Jada Pinkett Smith on Her Way Back to ‘Gotham’?
- Judge Gives 20 Min Speech to Racist Cop Caught Beating Unarmed Black Man (Watch)
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here