*The Jamie Foxx film “Django Unchained” finished its Christmas box office at No. 2 behind the critically-acclaimed musical “Les Miserables,” which pulled $18 million, according to Deadline.
Quentin Tarantino’s spaghetti Western, which stars Foxx as a freed slave looking to recover his wife from a plantation, earned an impressive $15.5 million. Third was Peter Jackson’s “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” which, made over $10 million; just last week, the film was leading the box office.
The comedy “Parental Guidance,” starring Billy Crystal and Bette Midler as hilariously-out-of-touch grandparents, came in fourth, grossing $7 million.
Below is the estimated Christmas box office results.
1. Les Misérables (Working Title/Universal) NEW [Runs 2,808]
Christmas Day $18.0M
2. Django Unchained (Sony/Weinstein) NEW [Runs 3,010]
Christmas Day $15.5M
3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (MGM/WB) Week 2 [Runs 4,100]
Christmas Day $10.8M, Cume $167.9M
4. Parental Guidance (Chernin/Fox) NEW [Runs 3,358]
Christmas Day $7.0M
5. Jack Reacher (Skydance/Paramount) Week 1 [Runs 3,352]
Christmas Day $5.1M, Cume $22.9M
6. This Is 40 (Universal) Week 1 [Runs 2,913]
Christmas Day $4.3M, Cume $17.3M
7. Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 7 [Runs 1,966]
Christmas Day $2.4M, Cume $120.3M
8. The Guilt Trip (Skydance.Paramount) Week 1 [Runs 2,431]
Christmas Day $2.3M, Cume $10.9M
9. Monsters Inc 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 1 [Runs 2,618]
Christmas Day $1.2M, Cume $8.3M