Southern Belle: Born and reared in Columbia, South Carolina
Influenced by Storytellers: Stevie Wonder, Bill Withers, Jill Scott, Amel Larriuex, James Taylor and Duke Ellington
A Degree and a Prayer: After leaving Howard University, Collette journeyed to New York City (Harlem specifically), to take her shot at sharing her gift and her experiences with the world musically.
Experience: 2008 brought the release of Experience, her debut album, and placed her square in the radar of GAP, Inc., BET/Centric and the likes of Talib Kweli, Chrisette Michelle and Eric Roberson among others she’s been the opening act for.
The “Request” Line: Building a fanbase through the reality in her music and the energy of her performances, 2011’s Coco by Request EP was funded in part by fans who share in Collette’s vision of soulful funk as she put together an album reinterpreting a few of her favorite songs and spliced in dedications to some of those fans.
Latest Release: The Juneteenth Revolution is available via iTunes Tuesday, December 4.
A Revolution Born on Juneteenth: Sharing her birthday with the date the slaves of Texas were notified of their explicit right to freedom, Collette envisions her latest release as the vehicle of creative and emotional freedom. This album is based on her experiences and situations witnessed that combat the spirit of freedom in the spiritual, emotional, creative and expressive arenas.
Miss Independent: Releasing her projects through her own label, Columbia Soul, Collette has her hands in each part of the process and has developed a keen ear for sound quality through the years. She champions the sonic offerings of Juneteenth and aims to provide her fans with top-quality products. She embraces the challenges of being an Indie Soul artists, not having the budgets afforded to many or the coverage given to some, she’s utilizes the “great equalizer”, the internet as a way to share her music and build awareness.
Live and In Living Color: Catch Collette at Ben’s Next Door in Washington, D.C. for her album release party on December 4th before she celebrates New York City style on the 29th at DROM.
- website – www.collettemusic.com
- Facebook – www.Facebook.com/collettemusik
- Twitter – @collettable
- ReverbNation – www.reverbnation.com/experiencecollette
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Mike Epps Shows it's Never Too Late: Graduates High School at 45
- Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton Declares May 23rd ‘Beyonce Day’, Then Lightning Strikes
- Serena Williams Pulls Off Series of Mind-Blowing Tennis Trick Shots (Watch)
- Researchers: NFL and 'Police Academy' Star Bubba Smith Had CTE When He Died
- Paris Jackson Inks Dad’s ‘Dangerous’ Album Cover on her Arm
- NBA Taps ‘Champion’ From The Roots as 2016 Finals Theme Song (Listen)
- Wow! 67-Year-Old Former Harlem Drug Dealer Graduates from Columbia (Watch)!
- Carmen Electra on Prince’s Death: ‘I Just Hope People Understand What Pain Is’ (Watch)
- VH1’s ‘Hip Hop Honors’ Returning to Salute the Ladies
- ‘The Real’s’ Adrienne Bailon Calls Tamar Braxton ‘My Sister Forever’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here