If you heard any of the advertisements leading up to the 2012 Soul Train Awards, held in Las Vegas for the first time ever, host Cedric the Entertainer’s tag line warned audiences, “What happens in Vegas will be televised!”
And it was.
The show had been taped only a few days after the election, and granted, democrats were still running on happy fumes; but did Jamie Foxx actually think he could go unscathed after making this comment,
“It’s like church over here. It’s like church in here,” the Oscar winning actor told the audience. “First of all, give an honor to God and our Lord and savior Barack Obama.”
He then encouraged the crowd to stand to their feet. While those in the audience cheered in response to Foxx’s comments, others found the remarks offensive.
“Practicing Christians are not amused by the portrayal of modern secular politicians as replacements for Jesus. But presumably their feelings don’t count, because they won’t burn anything doing in outrage,” John Hayward, from conservative blog Human Events, wrote.
“Foxx’s epiphany is startling,” said Bill Donahue, the president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights in the United States; who refers to a 2011 red carpet interview, where Foxx admits to not knowing what God means to him.
“It just goes to show that even though Obama did not succeed in stopping the oceans from rising (as he promised to do in 2008), he succeeded in convincing Jamie Foxx, and no doubt legions of others, that God exists,” he wrote.
Is there anything worse than handing someone ammunition to feed a fire already out of control?
No comment from Jamie yet.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- NeNe Leakes Blasts Luenell & Kenya Moore During Stand-Up
- Oprah's Convo with T. D. Jakes About Mega Church Series 'Greenleaf' (Photos)
- George Zimmerman Brags About Selling Gun That Killed Trayvon
- Presenting the EURweb - Kashif & Friends, Black Music Month Celebration On-Line Contest!
- Angela Simmons Confirms Pregnancy: 'We Are Overjoyed'
- How to Start Your Own Online Casino
- Was Prince Better than Hendrix? Only if He Crosses the Entertainment Divide
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here