Despite having 18 statues already and six more nominations this year (including Best Rap Performance and Best Rap Song) the rapper – who announced Sunday that he and his girlfriend Kim Kardashian are expecting their first child – voiced frustration with the awards show for his lack of wins in the mainstream categories.
“How many Grammys do we have? 18 Grammys. All in the black categories, though, but nonetheless, 18,” he said during a gig at the Revel Resort in Atlantic City. “I love Maroon 5, but when I lost Best New Artist to Maroon 5… you know what I mean? Or when ‘Watch the Throne’ and ‘(My Beautiful) Dark (Twisted) Fantasy,’ neither of them got nominated for Album of the Year? Or when ‘N**gas in Paris’ didn’t get nominated for Record of the Year? So don’t expect to see me at the Grammys this year.” (Scroll down to watch.)
West is tied with leading acts fun., The Black Keys’ Dan Auerbach, Jay Z, Frank Ocean and Mumford & Sons, who also have six nominations each.
The ceremony will air live on CBS from the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Feb. 13.
Below, Kanye begins his Grammy rant at 5:16.
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Lupita Nyong’o to Make NY Stage Debut in Danai Gurira's ‘Eclipsed’
- Mariah Carey to Direct Hallmark Film, Sets NYC Xmas Shows, European Tour
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here