*The online campaign urging Macy’s to fire Donald Trump has turned into a billboard campaign.
On Saturday, a mobile billboard attached to a truck began circling Macy’s corporate headquarters in Cincinnati, Ohio, as well as a nearby department store, according to The Hollywood Reporter. In New York, another mobile billboard began circling the company’s flagship store in Herald Square.
The mobile billboards are the latest gambit of Dump Trump, a petition from the liberal group MoveOn.org, which has gained nearly 680,000 signatures since launching last month. The petition charges Trump with making “sexist” and “racially charged” comments, which organizers say go against Macy’s social responsibility policy.
“There is a gap between what Macy’s brand is and what Donald Trump’s brand is,” protest organizer Angelo Carusone tells The Hollywood Reporter.
The new billboards feature photos of a classic Santa Claus next to an aggressive-looking Trump, as well as the words “Bring back the old Macy’s. Dump Trump.” The campaign is asking the retailer to stop carrying Trump’s line of clothing and fragrances and stop using him in ads.
“Macy’s says they are a cut above the rest. They appeal to everyone’s nostalgia. They inject themselves into our culture and our holidays,” says Carusone. “We don’t think [Trump] represents the values they espouse.”
Macy’s has stood by Trump, saying through a spokesman last month “Macy’s marketing and merchandise offerings are not representative of any political position.”
NBC has also indicated it will stick with Trump as it prepares to launch another season of his Celebrity Apprentice in March. Carusone says he would consider taking similar action against NBC, but has not made up his mind.
“I am certain there’s strong public sentiment for an action like that. But, I am still evaluating its potential,” he says.
The billboards will run through Christmas Eve during peak shopping hours.
- Black Lives Matter Members React to Fox News with Love
- Fellas Define Feminism At MTV VMAs (Watch)
- Ten Years After Hurricane Katrina: Changing Hearts, Minds and Systems in New Orleans
- Eunice Moseley Featured Expert in Dr. Logan Westbrooks’ ‘The Anatomy of the Music Industry’
- Best Ranking of the Most Badass Fictional Weapons
- THE (09-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Deya Direct Takes the Man Whisperer Conversation to the Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion!
- Student Who Made Light of Deputy's Death Online, and Showed Support for #Blacklivesmatter, Arrested
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts
- Teyana Taylor Expecting First Child with Iman Shumpert
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here