*The online campaign urging Macy’s to fire Donald Trump has turned into a billboard campaign.
On Saturday, a mobile billboard attached to a truck began circling Macy’s corporate headquarters in Cincinnati, Ohio, as well as a nearby department store, according to The Hollywood Reporter. In New York, another mobile billboard began circling the company’s flagship store in Herald Square.
The mobile billboards are the latest gambit of Dump Trump, a petition from the liberal group MoveOn.org, which has gained nearly 680,000 signatures since launching last month. The petition charges Trump with making “sexist” and “racially charged” comments, which organizers say go against Macy’s social responsibility policy.
“There is a gap between what Macy’s brand is and what Donald Trump’s brand is,” protest organizer Angelo Carusone tells The Hollywood Reporter.
The new billboards feature photos of a classic Santa Claus next to an aggressive-looking Trump, as well as the words “Bring back the old Macy’s. Dump Trump.” The campaign is asking the retailer to stop carrying Trump’s line of clothing and fragrances and stop using him in ads.
“Macy’s says they are a cut above the rest. They appeal to everyone’s nostalgia. They inject themselves into our culture and our holidays,” says Carusone. “We don’t think [Trump] represents the values they espouse.”
Macy’s has stood by Trump, saying through a spokesman last month “Macy’s marketing and merchandise offerings are not representative of any political position.”
NBC has also indicated it will stick with Trump as it prepares to launch another season of his Celebrity Apprentice in March. Carusone says he would consider taking similar action against NBC, but has not made up his mind.
“I am certain there’s strong public sentiment for an action like that. But, I am still evaluating its potential,” he says.
The billboards will run through Christmas Eve during peak shopping hours.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Comedian George Wallace: 'The Black But Equal Thing Don't Work for Us' [EUR EXCLUSIVE]
- Race and Cancer Survival: Blacks Less Likely to Survive (Writer Shares Personal Experience)
- Why Millions Would Join a Gorilla’s Lives Matter but Not Black Lives Matter
- Minor League Baseball Team to Honor Prince in Special 'Purple Game, Purple Game'
- Taraji P. Henson Among Honorees at Women in Film’s Crystal + Lucy Awards
- Dwayne Johnson to Play Action Hero Lead in ‘Doc Savage’
- Pres. Obama Edited to Sing Rihanna’s ‘Work’ (Watch)
- Rapper Troy Ave Pleads Not Guilty in T.I. Concert Shooting
- Jack Hanna Agrees '1,000 Percent' with Killing of Gorilla Harambe (Watch)
- Prince Sets Billboard 200 Record More Than a Month After Death
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here