*If the suits at the Oxygen network thought putting on a show about ATL rapper Shawty Lo called “All My Babies’ Mamas” was a brilliant idea, they may be in for a rude awakening.
As we reported, there’s already an online grassroots type boycott petition in place. And now, to stoke the fires even more, so to speak is radio host/blogger/activist Morris (Mo’Kelly) O’Kelly, who’s written an open letter to the powers that be at the network.
He wants them to know that he, along with a growing chorus of black folks, don’t want the program to even get an airing date and he’s prepared to do everything in his power to that end.
A reality TV show featuring a rapper, his TEN baby mamas and ELEVEN children? And you thought this was going to be good for your business and profile within the African-American community, on a network co-founded by Oprah Winfrey?
I will save the pith of my commentary for my columns and programs, but in short…this show can not happen. As a respected African-American media professional I can not in good conscience allow this program to move forward. There must be accountability as to the programming decisions at your network.
“Diversity” intimates more than just faces of different colors which grace your network. It also implies and demands a level of respect for varying hues and the imagery put forth. The fact that this project was green-lighted means that there has been complicity (and thus blame to be parsed) at all levels of your network.
A number of people said “yes” to this project, long before the press release was written and they are collectively responsible.
If you are of the opinion that “all publicity is good publicity,” I am here to disabuse you of this notion. Starting Thursday (Jan 3.) you will see why.
From my radio shows (KFI, the #1 talk station in America * XM Satellite * KTLK AM1150) to my syndicated columns and network of African-American media professionals, I assure you this will go down as one of the worst decisions in the history of your network.
Pull the program.
Note: This letter has been blind copied to the expanse of the national African-American media…and no, that’s not a good thing.
For my friends:
Morris O’Kelly I On-Air Personality – KFI AM 640 / KTLK AM 1150
Clear Channel Media + Entertainment
If you want to personally respond to Mo’Kelly, email him at: MorrisO’[email protected]
- LAPD on #100days100nights: 'Things Have Calmed Down'
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here