*Oprah Winfrey has reportedly been unseated as the world’s richest black woman.
According to a report published by Ventures Africa, an African business magazine and news service, the new title holder is Nigerian fashion designer and oil tycoon Folorunsho Alakija, who is worth an estimated $3.3 billion. That’s $500 million richer than Winfrey, whose wealth Forbes magazine estimated at $2.7 billion in September.
Alakija, 61, is the founder and owner of Famfa oil, a Nigerian oil company which owns a 60% working interest in OML 127, an offshore oil field which produces 200,000 barrels of oil per day.
“Total E&P recently sold off its 20% stake in a similar oil field to China’s Sinopec for $2.5 billion,” explains Ventures Africa editor Douglas Imaralu. “The oil field in question has a daily production capacity of 180,000 barrels a day.
“Similarly, other hand, OML 127 in which Famfa has a 60% interest produces about 200,000 barrels a day. When we did the math using the Total-Sinopec deal as a comparator, we came to the realization that Alakija’s stake is easily worth billions of dollars. We showed our calculations on ventures-africa.com. At this point, we have no doubt that she is indeed, richer than Oprah.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Remodeling Your Home: The Risks You Need to Know
- THE (05-02-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- OMG! Did Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, Really Respond to My Friendly 'Hello?'
- Wendy Raquel Robinson Pays Tribute to Iconic Artist Prince
- Kelly Rowland's New Music Series Has Her Missing Destiny’s Child
- Tyra Banks, Misty Copeland to Speak During Essence Experience
- Tyler Perry Talks Following His Own Path to Saving OWN
- John Singleton and Gary Owen Score BET Series Deals
- Opinion: Presidential Correspondence Dinner not a Place for the word 'Ni*ga'
- Wendell James Grand Marshall for Long Beach Pride Parade
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here