*Dwight Henry of “Beasts of the Southern Wild” has been named the year’s best supporting actor by the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, kicking off its annual voting with a typically idiosyncratic choice. Henry had never acted before being chosen for Benh Zeitlin’s low-budget indie set in the Louisiana bayous, and has been largely absent from the awards circuit because of his day job running a bakery in New Orleans. “Beasts” was also honored for its score, while “The Master” won the award for production design.
*”Skyfall,”, which hit multiplexes nationwide five weekends ago, reclaimed the No. 1 position. Though the film claimed the top spot the first weekend it was released, the James Bond movie has had to settle for the runner-up position as “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 2” dominated ticket sales. But the film starring Daniel Craig took in an additional $11 million this weekend, while the final “Twilight” movie collected $9.2 million. “Skyfall” has now sold $261.6 million worth of tickets in North America, making it the highest-grossing Bond film domestically by about $90 million.
*ABC is getting into the Hannibal Buress business. The stand-up comedian and television writer has been tapped by the network to develop a cop/comedy series that he will star in. The yet-to be-titled program, which will be co-written by Buress and Rob Sheridan, is said to be inspired by Buress’ stand-up, and will see him starring as a cop in a small town. The script commitment is 1 of 3 cop comedy shows currently in development at ABC – the other two being an ensemble cop comedy and a paranormal cop comedy show – so there’s a good chance that all 3 will not make it. Buress has been featured in The Awkward Comedy Show special on Comedy Central, and on the FX sitcom Louie. You can currently catch him on The Eric André Show on Adult Swim.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Erykah Badu Directs Video for Robert Glasper Collabo ‘Maiysha (So Long)’ (Watch)
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Bill Cosby Accuser Drops Defamation Lawsuit, But Still 'In Solidarity' With Alleged Victims
- Trolls Trying to Insult Steph Curry's 3-Year-Old Daughter Mistakenly Tweet Grown Man (See His Response)
- Larenz Tate, Mike Colter Join Queen Latifah’s ‘Girl Trip’
- TV Academy Sues Over Whitney Houston's Illegal Emmy Auction
- While Supreme Court Guts 4th Amendment, Black America left hypnotized by the NBA and Lebron James
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here