*Serena Williams has so far declined to comment on her “friend” and fellow tennis player Caroline Wozniacki’s headline-making impersonation of her, which involved padding her shorts and top.
The 22-year-old Danish tennis player has been getting an earful since a video surfaced of her impression at last weekend’s Roger Federer Tour in Sao Paolo, Brazil. Wozniacki came out on the court, strutting around as Williams — who also participated in the exhibition event but was not in the stadium at the time.
Wizniacki ultimately lost the match to Maria Sharapova.
Though Wozniacki declined to comment to ABCNews.com, her rep said, “It was all in good fun as Serena is one of her closest friends on tour.”
A Williams rep declined to comment on Wozniacki’s impression when contacted by ABCNews.com.
Though the prank appeared to be a hit with the crowd, and even Federer could be seen laughing, others since then have found it to be in bad taste.
In a poll of readers on Huffington Post’s Black Voices section, 40 percent found the stunt to be racist. But 38 percent said it wasn’t and 21 percent weren’t sure.
“This is an old racist trope about our supposed hypersexuality and sexual abnormality,” commented Twitter user @hazzarDeuce on the Black Voices Twitter page.
“I know they are friends, but still, inside it does something to me, because we’ve been made fun of for so long for different parts of our bodies,” co-host Sherri Shepherd said on “The View” Tuesday. “And to see Serena Williams reduced to this, I don’t like it.”
But Elisabeth Hasselbeck thought the joke was a friendly jest between friends. “I think this is inside stuff that they always do,” she said.
- Easily Distracted? 5 Ways to Focus Better at the Office
- Urban Movie Channel Launches 'Fall Out Fridays' Comedy Specials
- Janet Jackson Launches New Unbreakable Diamonds Collection
- Tyga, Dule Hill, Jacob Latimore Cast in Thriller ‘Sleight’
- Laurence Fishburne to Play Alex Haley in A&E’s ‘Roots’ Remake
- ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ Pulled from TV Land Over Confederate Flag Car
- National Action Network to Convene Members of Congress, Administration and Civil Rights Leaders for a Legislative & Policy Conference on Capitol Hill
- Flo Rida Pulls Out of Miss USA Pageant Over Donald Trump Comments
- Obama Crashes FLOTUS' Girl Scout Campfire: 'What Are You Doing in My Yard?'
- FBI: Lightning May Have Caused Fire at Mt. Zion AME Church
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here