*ESPN’s “30 for 30” season finale “You Don’t Know Bo” earned a 2.3 metered market rating over the weekend to become the cable channel’s highest rated documentary on an overnight basis, according to the Nielsen Company.
Directed by Michael Bonfiglio and produced by @radical.media, the film takes a close look at two-sport athlete Vincent Edward “Bo” Jackson, the only athlete ever selected to play in the NFL Pro Bowl and the MLB All-Star Game. It examines the truths and tall tales that surround Jackson, and how his seemingly impossible deeds captured the country’s collective imagination for an all-too-brief period in time.
The film, which aired Sunday night after the Heisman Trophy presentation, topped ratings for “The Fab Five,” an ESPN Films documentary that premiered to a 2.0 overnight rating on March 13, 2011, about the famed University of Michigan basketball team of the early 1990s.
“You Don’t Know Bo” rated highest in Birmingham, Ala., with a 7.9 metered market rating, according to the network.
ESPN Films executive producer Conner Schell told EURweb: “A big aspect of Michael’s film is the mythmaking around Bo Jackson, the creation of the marketing campaign, the idea that he was turned into words like ‘superhero,’ ‘a larger than life figure,’ et cetera, that didn’t always reconcile with the man.”
Below, Bonfiglio reveals what surprised him the most about Jackson’s story during the making of the film.
“You Don’t Know Bo” will reair on Wednesday, Dec.12, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN2. Watch a clip from the film below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ashanti Produces New Film ('Mothers and Daughters') with Superstar Cast (Watch)
- Birdman on 'Respek' Trending & Confronting The Breakfast Club
- Report Says Percocet Found in Prince's System
- Rappers Arrested for Credit Card Fraud after Rapping about Crimes in Songs
- L. A. City Hall Salutes 'Prince' on Friday, May 6, (Open to Public FREE)
- Alicia Keys Drops New Single - Ellen's $10,000 Gift to Dance Crew (WATCH)
- Prince’s ‘Kiss’ Performed Randomly on Subway Just Days Before He Died (Watch)
- Behind the Scenes of Janet Jackson’s New Video for ‘Dammn Baby’ (Watch)
- #AirbnbWhileBlack Exposes Racism Faced by Black Renters
- ‘Dear White People’ to Become a Netflix Series
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here