*ESPN’s “30 for 30” season finale “You Don’t Know Bo” earned a 2.3 metered market rating over the weekend to become the cable channel’s highest rated documentary on an overnight basis, according to the Nielsen Company.
Directed by Michael Bonfiglio and produced by @radical.media, the film takes a close look at two-sport athlete Vincent Edward “Bo” Jackson, the only athlete ever selected to play in the NFL Pro Bowl and the MLB All-Star Game. It examines the truths and tall tales that surround Jackson, and how his seemingly impossible deeds captured the country’s collective imagination for an all-too-brief period in time.
The film, which aired Sunday night after the Heisman Trophy presentation, topped ratings for “The Fab Five,” an ESPN Films documentary that premiered to a 2.0 overnight rating on March 13, 2011, about the famed University of Michigan basketball team of the early 1990s.
“You Don’t Know Bo” rated highest in Birmingham, Ala., with a 7.9 metered market rating, according to the network.
ESPN Films executive producer Conner Schell told EURweb: “A big aspect of Michael’s film is the mythmaking around Bo Jackson, the creation of the marketing campaign, the idea that he was turned into words like ‘superhero,’ ‘a larger than life figure,’ et cetera, that didn’t always reconcile with the man.”
Below, Bonfiglio reveals what surprised him the most about Jackson’s story during the making of the film.
“You Don’t Know Bo” will reair on Wednesday, Dec.12, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN2. Watch a clip from the film below.
- Neighbors Complain Kardashians Wasting Water During Drought
- Will Packer Marries Longtime Love in Surprise Atlanta Wedding
- Phoenix Mother Allegedly Drowns Twin Boys Because 'No One Loved Them'
- How ABC Wooed Tyra Banks Back Into Daytime with 'FABLife'
- Amber Rose, Blac Chyna Twerk in Uber En Route to VMAs (Watch)
- Trick Daddy Files for Bankruptcy Amid Child Support Bills
- MTV Wants Kanye West to Host 2016 Video Music Awards (Report)
- Iowa Poll: Ben Carson Suddenly In a Tie With Donald Trump
- DC’s NFL Team: RG3 Demoted; DeSean Jackson Pisses Off Women
- Hulk Hogan Says He Was Suicidal Over N-Word Scandal: ‘I'm Not A Racist’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here