McGruder has been planning a version of the comedy centered around self-hating handyman Uncle Ruckus, voiced by “Weeds” actor Gary Anthony Williams, but instead of shopping the project to film executives at Sony Studios, which produces “The Boondocks,” the creator is turning to fans to help him reach his target of $200,000.
A message posted on the Kickstarter.com crowd funding site on Wednesday reads: “There’s always been interest in a live-action Boondocks movie, which to me was out of the question considering Huey and Riley are essentially impossible to cast. The animated feature would cost around 20 million, but a live action Uncle Ruckus movie could cost a fraction of that.
“So just for the hell of it we had the costume made and it was pretty amazing. To see Gary actually transform into Uncle Ruckus… It’s quite the surreal experience. I never expected the transition to be so completely seamless.”
In exchange for donations, fans have been offered merchandise from the show, including T-shirts, DVDs, posters and photos.
At press time, the film already had 319 investors, raising more than $11,300. The campaign ends on March 1.
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Danger Sign in Bail for Alleged Cincinnati Police Shooter Ray Tensing
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Cedric The Entertainer Celebrity Golf Classic Tees Off August 17
- Take a Special Look Inside the Making of 'Straight Outta Compton' (WATCH)
- Report: Leola Brown Thrown Out of Bobbi Kristina Funeral Services
- Lil Kim Claims Mr. Papers Was Physically Abusive
- Jill Scott Talks New Album 'Woman', Motherhood and Longevity
- Khloe Kardashian, Lamar Odom Officially End Their Marriage
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here