McGruder has been planning a version of the comedy centered around self-hating handyman Uncle Ruckus, voiced by “Weeds” actor Gary Anthony Williams, but instead of shopping the project to film executives at Sony Studios, which produces “The Boondocks,” the creator is turning to fans to help him reach his target of $200,000.
A message posted on the Kickstarter.com crowd funding site on Wednesday reads: “There’s always been interest in a live-action Boondocks movie, which to me was out of the question considering Huey and Riley are essentially impossible to cast. The animated feature would cost around 20 million, but a live action Uncle Ruckus movie could cost a fraction of that.
“So just for the hell of it we had the costume made and it was pretty amazing. To see Gary actually transform into Uncle Ruckus… It’s quite the surreal experience. I never expected the transition to be so completely seamless.”
In exchange for donations, fans have been offered merchandise from the show, including T-shirts, DVDs, posters and photos.
At press time, the film already had 319 investors, raising more than $11,300. The campaign ends on March 1.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (11-27-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- R&B Soul Jazz Singer Kenya Covers 'Little Drummer Boy' (Listen)
- T-Pain to Larry King on Why He's 'Done with Making Hits!’
- Erykah Badu on Azealia Banks Beef: 'We Can Spiral Out of Control With Style'
- ‘Creed’ Dir. Ryan Coogler Pays Tribute to His Father in 'Rocky' Spin-Off
- Black Fox News Co-Host Asked if She 'Makes Kool-Aid' (WATCH)
- President Obama's Statement Regarding Laquan McDonald Murder
- Dr. Rapp: Enjoy Patti's Pie, Avoid Fatti's Pounds
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' & Calls Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here