McGruder has been planning a version of the comedy centered around self-hating handyman Uncle Ruckus, voiced by “Weeds” actor Gary Anthony Williams, but instead of shopping the project to film executives at Sony Studios, which produces “The Boondocks,” the creator is turning to fans to help him reach his target of $200,000.
A message posted on the Kickstarter.com crowd funding site on Wednesday reads: “There’s always been interest in a live-action Boondocks movie, which to me was out of the question considering Huey and Riley are essentially impossible to cast. The animated feature would cost around 20 million, but a live action Uncle Ruckus movie could cost a fraction of that.
“So just for the hell of it we had the costume made and it was pretty amazing. To see Gary actually transform into Uncle Ruckus… It’s quite the surreal experience. I never expected the transition to be so completely seamless.”
In exchange for donations, fans have been offered merchandise from the show, including T-shirts, DVDs, posters and photos.
At press time, the film already had 319 investors, raising more than $11,300. The campaign ends on March 1.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ludacris' Secret to Making it Rain and Having Good Skin (WATCH)
- LL Cool J Charms at ‘Hamilton' - Gabrielle Union Slams Hollywood
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here