*“Django” hit the jackpot this year for Oscar nominations. The controversial spaghetti Western/slave flick, however, is not cool enough for the committee to push past its tradition of skipping over great black actors.
Supporting actor Christoph Waltz was nominated and the film got nods for best picture and original screenplay.
However, Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington and Samuel L. Jackson didn’t get a lick.
While some say Jamie and Kerry were not quite ready for the Oscars, Sam outdid himself this time around, but again, no love.
But if this wasn’t about race, good acting was also totally overlooked, in some opinions. Leonardo DiCaprio, who has been nominated in the past but never won, missed out completely this time around.
Quentin Tarantino was overlooked for best director as well.
But who said this was the “People’s Choice” awards?
Jamie, who has been vocal lately, spoke up about the historical lack of recognition among the Academy Awards.
“A lot of times we’re not nominated when we do honorable work. Because with the slave she [Washington] plays there is dignity in everything she played,” Foxx told thegrio. “It wasn’t subservient; she wasn’t giving up to anything. So a lot of times they do overlook that, they may not want to reward that.”
In other Oscar nom news, Denzel and “Beasts of the Southern Wild” were nominated.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Will Smith Planning Political Run 'In The Near Future'
- Angie Stone Recalls the Time She Passed on Dating Idris Elba
- 3 Things to Do NOW to Transform Your Life (WATCH)
- The Kobie Chronicles: 'Red, White & Baltimore' Premiere As Freddie Gray Trials Commence
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here