*Ok, “Django Unchained” the movie is one thing, but “Django Unchained” action figures/collectables is a whole ‘nother matter as far as Project Islamic Hope’s Najee Ali and a coalition of African America community leaders are concerned.
They’re calling for a boycott of the “Djano Unchained” collectables. A press conference is set for tomorrow, Tuesday, January 8.
If you haven’t heard, as the Daily Beast’s Karu Daniels reports, the “National Entertainment Collectibles Association, Inc. (NECA), in tandem with the Weinstein Company, announced a full line of consumer products based on characters from the movie. First up are pose-able eight-inch action figures with tailored clothing, weaponry, and accessories in the likeness of characters played by Foxx, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Leonardo DiCaprio, James Remar and Christoph Waltz. The dolls are currently on sale via Amazon.com.”
In a press release, NECA president Joel Weinshanker said the company was “very excited to bring the stellar cast of ‘Django’ to life and honored to be working with another Tarantino masterpiece.”
Well, to put it simply, Ali and community leaders are not excited the prospect of the “Django” cast being brought to life.
“Selling slaves as action figures is a slap in the face of our ancestors. Tarantino and Weinstein didn’t have action figures for their movie ” Inglorious Basterds” because they know the Jewish community would never allow it and the African-American community shouldn’t allow anyone to disrespect our ancestors,” stated Najee Ali, Director of Project Islamic Hope.
What (press conference): A coalition of civil rights and African-American community leaders are calling for a national boycott of the “Django Unchained” action figures.
When: Tuesday January 8th 2013
Where: Leimert Park 3415 W.43rd Place Los Angeles, CA 90043 (Crenshaw and Vernon)
Contact: Project Islamic Hope (Via Najee Ali: [email protected])
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toyota Motor Credit to Pay $21.9 Million for Discrimination
- THE (02-08-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Award Winning Pianist Kris Bowers to Perform at Benefit Concert.
- A Miserable Cam Newton Bolts Out of Press Conference (WATCH)
- After Super Bowl 50 Performance Beyonce Announces 'Formation Tour'
- Denver Broncos Beat Carolina Panthers 24-10 to Win Super Bowl
- PETA Approves Jada Pinkett Smith's Ivory Tusk Decor
- John Legend Goes ‘Underground’ With Activism For Upcoming WGN Series
- Antoine Fuqua to Direct ‘Training Day’ Series for CBS
- Chicago Cop Fatally Shoots Teen, Then Sues His Family
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here