*Chaka Khan and Halle Berry were among those getting the royal treatment at the 2013 BET Honors ceremony, held Saturday in Washington DC.
The Oscar winner was praised for her charity work with domestic violence victims at Los Angeles’ Jenesse Center, and she used her acceptance speech to call on women to speak up about problems at home.
“Many women don’t speak out and they don’t seek help,” she said. “By honoring the work we’re doing at the Jenesse Center, maybe it will encourage others to stand up and be strong and face the reality of what’s happening to them – and have the courage to make a change.”
Khan was celebrated for her career achievements, while fellow honorees included music executive Clarence Avant, WNBA Lisa Leslie and pastor T.D. Jakes.
The annual ceremony was hosted by actress Gabrielle Union and also featured music from Brandy and Erykah Badu.
The ceremony is scheduled to air Feb. 11 on BET. View more pics below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (11-26-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- (Listen) ‘The Meaning of Life, Explained By 3rd Graders’ is Brilliant and On Point!
- Nivea Dishes about Her Feelings on Lil Wayne, Christina Milian (Watch)
- Akon and His Mother Owes $36K for Pimped Out Mansion
- Khloe Kardashian Not Spending Thanksgiving With Lamar Odom
- Gonna Fly Now: ‘Creed’ Sets Pre-Thanksgiving Record with $1.4M Box Office
- Black Student Criticizes WWU For Ignoring Racist Threats Against Her
- EUR on Set with 'Rosewood's' Morris Chestnut & Taye Diggs WATCH)
- Greg Hardy Cancels Thanksgiving Nightclub Gig Over ‘Public Image’?
- South African Girl in Chris Rock’s Family Here On ‘Visitor Visa’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here