*Chaka Khan and Halle Berry were among those getting the royal treatment at the 2013 BET Honors ceremony, held Saturday in Washington DC.
The Oscar winner was praised for her charity work with domestic violence victims at Los Angeles’ Jenesse Center, and she used her acceptance speech to call on women to speak up about problems at home.
“Many women don’t speak out and they don’t seek help,” she said. “By honoring the work we’re doing at the Jenesse Center, maybe it will encourage others to stand up and be strong and face the reality of what’s happening to them – and have the courage to make a change.”
Khan was celebrated for her career achievements, while fellow honorees included music executive Clarence Avant, WNBA Lisa Leslie and pastor T.D. Jakes.
The annual ceremony was hosted by actress Gabrielle Union and also featured music from Brandy and Erykah Badu.
The ceremony is scheduled to air Feb. 11 on BET. View more pics below.
- Black Lives Matter Members React to Fox News with Love
- Fellas Define Feminism At MTV VMAs (Watch)
- Ten Years After Hurricane Katrina: Changing Hearts, Minds and Systems in New Orleans
- Eunice Moseley Featured Expert in Dr. Logan Westbrooks’ ‘The Anatomy of the Music Industry’
- Best Ranking of the Most Badass Fictional Weapons
- THE (09-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Deya Direct Takes the Man Whisperer Conversation to the Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion!
- Student Who Made Light of Deputy's Death Online, and Showed Support for #Blacklivesmatter, Arrested
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts
- Teyana Taylor Expecting First Child with Iman Shumpert
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here