*Chaka Khan and Halle Berry were among those getting the royal treatment at the 2013 BET Honors ceremony, held Saturday in Washington DC.
The Oscar winner was praised for her charity work with domestic violence victims at Los Angeles’ Jenesse Center, and she used her acceptance speech to call on women to speak up about problems at home.
“Many women don’t speak out and they don’t seek help,” she said. “By honoring the work we’re doing at the Jenesse Center, maybe it will encourage others to stand up and be strong and face the reality of what’s happening to them – and have the courage to make a change.”
Khan was celebrated for her career achievements, while fellow honorees included music executive Clarence Avant, WNBA Lisa Leslie and pastor T.D. Jakes.
The annual ceremony was hosted by actress Gabrielle Union and also featured music from Brandy and Erykah Badu.
The ceremony is scheduled to air Feb. 11 on BET. View more pics below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Oprah Winfrey Ready for ‘Greenleaf’ Backlash; Warns T.D. Jakes of Possible Comparisons
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Lawyers in Jerry Heller Case Want Judge to Watch Entire Film for Context
- If You're the Mother of a Teen Girl, You'll Want to Know About This
- Michael Jace Told Wife Before Shooting Her, ‘If You Like Running, Then Run To Heaven’, Son Testifies
- John Legend’s ‘Granny’ Meets Great Granddaughter Luna Simone (Pic)
- EUR Exclusive! Tyler Perry in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Clip #TMNT2 (WATCH)
- Prince Sax Player Joins FAMU Wind Symphony for Beautiful 'Purple Rain' Performance (Watch)
- Grad Party Cancels T.I. Gig after Shooting; Wants $55,000 Payment Back
- Google Announces $250,000 in Grants for Flint, MI Water Crisis
- THE (05-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here