*The Broadway production of Horton Foote’s The Trip to Bountiful, which was scheduled to begin previews March 31 at the Stephen Sondheim Theatre, will now do so March 30, one day earlier than originally announced, reports Playbill.
The cast will feature Emmy winner Cicely Tyson, Academy Award winner Cuba Gooding Jr., Emmy Award nominee Vanessa Williams and Tony Award nominee Condola Rashad.
Directed by Michael Wilson and produced by Nelle Nugent, the 14-week limited engagement will officially open April 23.
The Trip to Bountiful, according to press notes, tells the story of “Carrie Watts (Tyson), an elderly woman who dreams of returning to her small hometown of Bountiful, TX one last time, against the wishes of her overprotective son (Gooding) and domineering daughter-in-law (Williams). Her journey becomes a heartbreaking but ultimately life-affirming and inspiring tale that examines the fragility of memory and celebrates the enduring power of hope and faith.”
“The Trip to Bountiful is among Horton’s most beloved plays, and Carrie Watts, one of his most memorable characters. To do the play and role justice, you need an actress of rare stature and command,” added director Wilson. “Cicely Tyson has, over the span of a distinguished career, depicted iconic Americans engaged in immense struggle. Her legendary performances – from Jane Pittman to Coretta Scott King to Harriet Tubman, to name just a few — have contributed mightily to our sense of national identity and character. I am thrilled that she is returning to the stage now to have her trip, to lead us all on a journey that promises to be unforgettable.”
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Rinkins Report: Author Offers Recipe for Leadership Success
- Raynetta Turner: Mother of Eight is Latest Victim in String of Black Female Jail Cell Deaths
- HBO to Air Documentary About Jordan Davis, Teen Killed Over Loud Music
- Utah Considers Changing Name of Negro Bill Canyon
- NBC Reportedly Close to Signing Beyonce for ‘The Wiz Live’
- Lupita Nyong’o to Make NY Stage Debut in Danai Gurira's ‘Eclipsed’
- Mariah Carey to Direct Hallmark Film, Sets NYC Xmas Shows, European Tour
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here