Monday on the “Today” show while speaking with Savannah Guthrie she said, “good mothers and good fathers and good families don’t always have great children.”
That’s an interesting comment. One we suppose was made to say that Whitney, in spite of her well documented drug demons, was brought up the right way, but made bad decisions that led to her untimely demise.
It’s obvious that Cissy felt — and still feels — a lot of love for her late daughter (“she and I were very, very close. She knew I loved her”) but in speaking with Guthrie, she didn’t want to apportion blame.
“I don’t know too much about Bobby Brown,” she said when asked about Whitney’s ex-husband. “I don’t want to talk about him. … I know he didn’t help her. I don’t blame him. … Everybody is responsible for their own actions up to a point. She was raised, she knew better, and whatever took her to that position, I really don’t know.”
However, in a later interview with Al Roker, Houston went a bit further, saying marrying Brown “wasn’t the greatest idea in the world” and that “he did hurt her in a lot of ways. … She was in love, I guess.”
Cissy said she did what she could to try and pull her daughter back from the brink, but suggested that the confusing world of the music business, being called “Whitey” early on and then the marriage match to Brown led to her daughter seeking self-medication.
“She was giving and loving … just didn’t like confusion; she turned away from that as much as she could,” Cissy told Roker, adding that “I really do” believe that’s what led to her drug use.
- Watch Beyonce Frolic in Rainbow Gear to Celebrate Marriage Equality
- Emmitt Smith Backs Out of Judging Miss USA Pageant
- Serena, Venus Advance at Wimbledon, One Step Closer to Facing Each Other
- SF 49er RB Reggie Bush Puts MI Home on Market for $2.4M (Pics)
- NeNe Leakes, Betty White, Anthony Anderson Lead ABC’s ‘To Tell the Truth’ Reboot
- Easily Distracted? 5 Ways to Focus Better at the Office
- Urban Movie Channel Launches 'Fall Out Fridays' Comedy Specials
- Janet Jackson Launches New Unbreakable Diamonds Collection
- Tyga, Dule Hill, Jacob Latimore Cast in Thriller ‘Sleight’
- Laurence Fishburne to Play Alex Haley in A&E’s ‘Roots’ Remake
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here