Monday on the “Today” show while speaking with Savannah Guthrie she said, “good mothers and good fathers and good families don’t always have great children.”
That’s an interesting comment. One we suppose was made to say that Whitney, in spite of her well documented drug demons, was brought up the right way, but made bad decisions that led to her untimely demise.
It’s obvious that Cissy felt — and still feels — a lot of love for her late daughter (“she and I were very, very close. She knew I loved her”) but in speaking with Guthrie, she didn’t want to apportion blame.
“I don’t know too much about Bobby Brown,” she said when asked about Whitney’s ex-husband. “I don’t want to talk about him. … I know he didn’t help her. I don’t blame him. … Everybody is responsible for their own actions up to a point. She was raised, she knew better, and whatever took her to that position, I really don’t know.”
However, in a later interview with Al Roker, Houston went a bit further, saying marrying Brown “wasn’t the greatest idea in the world” and that “he did hurt her in a lot of ways. … She was in love, I guess.”
Cissy said she did what she could to try and pull her daughter back from the brink, but suggested that the confusing world of the music business, being called “Whitey” early on and then the marriage match to Brown led to her daughter seeking self-medication.
“She was giving and loving … just didn’t like confusion; she turned away from that as much as she could,” Cissy told Roker, adding that “I really do” believe that’s what led to her drug use.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- S. Epatha Merkerson: ‘I Won’t Even Read a Script with a Snake in it’
- 'Ice Age' Interview: 'Hit This...We're Done Anyways' - Wanda Sykes (WATCH)
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Erykah Badu Directs Video for Robert Glasper Collabo ‘Maiysha (So Long)’ (Watch)
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Bill Cosby Accuser Drops Defamation Lawsuit, But Still 'In Solidarity' With Alleged Victims
- Trolls Trying to Insult Steph Curry's 3-Year-Old Daughter Mistakenly Tweet Grown Man (See His Response)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here