Monday on the “Today” show while speaking with Savannah Guthrie she said, “good mothers and good fathers and good families don’t always have great children.”
That’s an interesting comment. One we suppose was made to say that Whitney, in spite of her well documented drug demons, was brought up the right way, but made bad decisions that led to her untimely demise.
It’s obvious that Cissy felt — and still feels — a lot of love for her late daughter (“she and I were very, very close. She knew I loved her”) but in speaking with Guthrie, she didn’t want to apportion blame.
“I don’t know too much about Bobby Brown,” she said when asked about Whitney’s ex-husband. “I don’t want to talk about him. … I know he didn’t help her. I don’t blame him. … Everybody is responsible for their own actions up to a point. She was raised, she knew better, and whatever took her to that position, I really don’t know.”
However, in a later interview with Al Roker, Houston went a bit further, saying marrying Brown “wasn’t the greatest idea in the world” and that “he did hurt her in a lot of ways. … She was in love, I guess.”
Cissy said she did what she could to try and pull her daughter back from the brink, but suggested that the confusing world of the music business, being called “Whitey” early on and then the marriage match to Brown led to her daughter seeking self-medication.
“She was giving and loving … just didn’t like confusion; she turned away from that as much as she could,” Cissy told Roker, adding that “I really do” believe that’s what led to her drug use.
- History Making ‘Les Miserables’ Star Kyle Jean-Baptiste Dies at 21
- EUR on the Scene: Exclusive Look Inside the 2015 VMAs
- Jamaican Author Shares Her Story on Being Raped at Gunpoint; Empowers Women to Triumph Over Adversity
- Detroit's ZanYe Digs Deep for Ballroom with Reboot of Four Tops Classic
- Fox Gives ‘Empire’ Fans Early Prep for Season 2 with 22-Minute Featurette (WATCH)
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Marriage Inspires New Sitcom
- Tyler, the Creator Banned from UK Over 'Terrorist' Lyrics
- Shannon J. Miles Arrested As Suspect in Killing of Texas Deputy
- Nicole Murphy Addresses Nick Cannon Dating Rumors
- Cedric the Entertainer Hosts 3rd Annual Celebrity Golf Classic [Photos]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here