*President Barack Obama‘s second Inauguration Day was a good day for CNN but all three cable news networks saw viewership drop from his first swearing in four years ago.
On new boss Jeff Zucker’s first day on the job, CNN soundly beat out its rivals in viewership and among the Adult 25-54 demographic. During the 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. block when the President took the oath of office on the Capitol steps and gave his Inaugural address, CNN pulled in 3.136 million viewers with 1.107 million in the 25-54 demo, according to Nielsen Fast Nationals. That’s more than double the 1.316 million total viewers and 294,000 in the 25-54 that Fox News Channel got.
CNN also topped MSNBC’s 2.273 million total viewers and 706,000 among Adults 25-54.
In primetime Monday night, CNN got 3.573 million total viewers with 1.266 million in the Adults 25-54. Fox News pulled 1.666 million total viewers and 254,000 among the 25-54 between 8 and 11 p.m. MSNBC had 1.365 million total viewers, with 456,000 among Adults 25-54. All of which means CNN beat FNC and MSNC combined among the key 25-53 demo.
Overall, all three news networks saw their viewership during the 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. slot drop by nearly 10 million from 2009. Those prime time numbers among the 24-54 are down significantly too for all three cable news networks from Obama’s first Inaugural four years ago. In 2009, CNN was in the top position with FNC in second and MSNBC in third among the key demo.
Final network viewership numbers are expected later today.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here