*As we reported, Wisconsin state Senator Glenn Grossman (R-West Bend) is on record stating that Kwanzaa is a ‘fake’ holiday.
Cal State Long Beach professor Dr. Maulana Karenga responded on KTLA News to Grossman’s accusations of “hard-core left wingers” using the holiday, celebrated by African-Americans in late December, as a way to divide the country.
The professor, who created the holiday in 1966, said he doesn’t take the senator seriously. In the news report he stated:
“Why is he [Grothman] concerned with Kwanzaa? Kwanzaa is our Pan African and African American holiday that celebrates family, community [and] culture.”
Karenga said he created the holiday as a cultural holiday so people of all faiths can celebrate.
Senator Grothman was also quoted as saying “almost no black people” care about Kwanzaa and is not a real holiday in his estimation.
Check out Dr. Karenga’s full response in the KTLA video report below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- John Legend Records First-Ever Holiday Duet With the Stars [Listen]
- Porsha Williams, Cynthia Bailey 'RHOA' Fight, Time to Retire B-word?
- Vivica A. Fox Wants an 'Empire' Spinoff Based on Candace
- Report: Tom Joyner Being Forced Out of Own Radio Show; Russ Parr to Take Over
- 50 Cent Sitcom ‘My Friend 50’ Headed to Fox
- The Best of Black Twitter’s #PopeBars
- Mom of Ronald Johnson Wants Dashcam Video of Son's Killing Released (VIdeo)
- 'L&HHH's' Milan Christopher Denies Dating ‘Empire’s’ Jussie Smollett
- Anthony Anderson Inks Multi-Year Deal With NAACP Image Awards
- Business Owners Combine To Launch Innovative Approach to 'Buy Black' Movement
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here