*As we reported, Wisconsin state Senator Glenn Grossman (R-West Bend) is on record stating that Kwanzaa is a ‘fake’ holiday.
Cal State Long Beach professor Dr. Maulana Karenga responded on KTLA News to Grossman’s accusations of “hard-core left wingers” using the holiday, celebrated by African-Americans in late December, as a way to divide the country.
The professor, who created the holiday in 1966, said he doesn’t take the senator seriously. In the news report he stated:
“Why is he [Grothman] concerned with Kwanzaa? Kwanzaa is our Pan African and African American holiday that celebrates family, community [and] culture.”
Karenga said he created the holiday as a cultural holiday so people of all faiths can celebrate.
Senator Grothman was also quoted as saying “almost no black people” care about Kwanzaa and is not a real holiday in his estimation.
Check out Dr. Karenga’s full response in the KTLA video report below:
- Tyler Perry ‘Keeping the Peace' Between Houston, Brown Families
- WATCH: 'Mega Fest of the West' takes overs Long Beach with Celebs & Gospel Artists!
- Raven-Symone Says Caitlyn Jenner’s Moving ‘Too Fast, Too Soon’
- Mary J. Blige, Queen Latifah Join NBC’s ‘The Wiz Live!’
- Josh Smith Says Making $6.9 Million will be A Hardship for Him (VIDEO)
- Pres. Obama on 2016 Election: 'I Think If I Ran, I Would Win'
- Rumor or Fact? L.A. Gangs Threaten to Kill 100 People in 100 Days
- POLITICO Magazine: U.S. Mayors Say Ferguson Could Also Happen in Their Cities
- New 'Legal Equalizer' App Aims to Counter Racial Profiling (WATCH)
- Martin Luther King III and Andrew Young to Attend Voting Right Press Conference
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here