*As we reported, Wisconsin state Senator Glenn Grossman (R-West Bend) is on record stating that Kwanzaa is a ‘fake’ holiday.
Cal State Long Beach professor Dr. Maulana Karenga responded on KTLA News to Grossman’s accusations of “hard-core left wingers” using the holiday, celebrated by African-Americans in late December, as a way to divide the country.
The professor, who created the holiday in 1966, said he doesn’t take the senator seriously. In the news report he stated:
“Why is he [Grothman] concerned with Kwanzaa? Kwanzaa is our Pan African and African American holiday that celebrates family, community [and] culture.”
Karenga said he created the holiday as a cultural holiday so people of all faiths can celebrate.
Senator Grothman was also quoted as saying “almost no black people” care about Kwanzaa and is not a real holiday in his estimation.
Check out Dr. Karenga’s full response in the KTLA video report below:
- Bobby Shmurda's Girlfriend Busted Smuggling Shank Into Rikers
- B.Scott Accompanies Laverne Cox to BET Awards
- Nick Cannon Weighs in on Mariah Carey and her New Man
- Jason Derulo Misjudged Potential of New Song ‘Want to Want Me’
- Watch Beyonce Frolic in Rainbow Gear to Celebrate Marriage Equality
- Emmitt Smith Backs Out of Judging Miss USA Pageant
- Serena, Venus Advance at Wimbledon, One Step Closer to Facing Each Other
- SF 49er RB Reggie Bush Puts MI Home on Market for $2.4M (Pics)
- NeNe Leakes, Betty White, Anthony Anderson Lead ABC’s ‘To Tell the Truth’ Reboot
- Easily Distracted? 5 Ways to Focus Better at the Office
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here