*As we reported, Wisconsin state Senator Glenn Grossman (R-West Bend) is on record stating that Kwanzaa is a ‘fake’ holiday.
Cal State Long Beach professor Dr. Maulana Karenga responded on KTLA News to Grossman’s accusations of “hard-core left wingers” using the holiday, celebrated by African-Americans in late December, as a way to divide the country.
The professor, who created the holiday in 1966, said he doesn’t take the senator seriously. In the news report he stated:
“Why is he [Grothman] concerned with Kwanzaa? Kwanzaa is our Pan African and African American holiday that celebrates family, community [and] culture.”
Karenga said he created the holiday as a cultural holiday so people of all faiths can celebrate.
Senator Grothman was also quoted as saying “almost no black people” care about Kwanzaa and is not a real holiday in his estimation.
Check out Dr. Karenga’s full response in the KTLA video report below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dr. Dre Wants 'Beats and Rhymes' Tour with Snoop, Eminem, Kendrick
- Lamar Odom Found Unconscious at Nevada Brothel; Doesn't Look Good: Report
- Najee Alli, NAN Pressure USC to Consider Hiring Black Coach
- [Watch] Teaser Trailer for Jesse Owens Biopic 'Race'
- Danny Sapani Plays ‘Berber the Moor’ in FX’s Drama 'Bastard Executioner'
- Tamera Mowry-Housely Has 'Goosebumps!' (Photos)
- Chris Bosh and Wife Adrienne Expecting Twins
- President Obama Crashes Wedding at San Diego Golf Course (Watch)
- Taraji P. Henson Slays November Cover of Essence
- Suge Knight Sneaks Birthday Message to Son During Court (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here