*Late go-go legend Chuck Brown, who rocked many open-air theaters during his iconic career, will soon have one named in his honor in his Washington hometown.
D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray signed legislation Thursday to build a Chuck Brown Music Pavilion, reports NBC Washington. Photos of the project were on display at a news conference attended by city leaders, project designers and Brown’s family members.
The $1 million pavilion – constructed of wood and stainless steel – will be located at Langdon Park in northeast D.C. near the intersection of 20th and Franklin streets. The bandshell will faces outdoor seating for 900 people built into an earthen berm, surrounded by magnolia trees and backed by a copse of evergreens. Beside it stands a “timeline tower” listing Brown’s most famous songs in chronological order.
Visitors will also learn the history of the man known as the “Godfather of Go-Go.” The venue is scheduled to open this summer.
Mayor Gray said the pavilion was created “in order the make sure we don’t forget Chuck,” and he added, “It would be a place where young musicians in the future will be able to come and perform and hopefully perform some of Chuck’s great songs.”
The same design firm that restored the interior of the historic Howard Theatre where Brown often performed, Marshall Moya Design, also designed the Chuck Brown Pavilion.
Brown daughter Cherita Whiting said the final design was one of several presented for the family’s blessing. Construction will begin on the memorial soon, and Whiting said she hoped to see a ribbon-cutting May 16, the first anniversary of Brown’s passing, or Aug. 22, which would have been his 77th birthday.
“I think my dad would be very proud and extremely happy to be honored like that,” she said.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Amber Rose's 'SlutWalk': Several Hundred Showed Up (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Jerrod Carmichael: New Onyx Phone Makes Filming Police Brutality Easy (WATCH)
- Universal Eyeing Michael B. Jordan and Jonah Hill for Def Jam Biopic
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Jennifer Hudson Dishes on Film Roles, Style and Weight Loss
- Sparkletainment Presents 'Loves Freedom' a One-woman Stage Performance (WATCH)
- 'Why You Always Lying' Creator Calls Viral Success 'Crazy'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here