*Late go-go legend Chuck Brown, who rocked many open-air theaters during his iconic career, will soon have one named in his honor in his Washington hometown.
D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray signed legislation Thursday to build a Chuck Brown Music Pavilion, reports NBC Washington. Photos of the project were on display at a news conference attended by city leaders, project designers and Brown’s family members.
The $1 million pavilion – constructed of wood and stainless steel – will be located at Langdon Park in northeast D.C. near the intersection of 20th and Franklin streets. The bandshell will faces outdoor seating for 900 people built into an earthen berm, surrounded by magnolia trees and backed by a copse of evergreens. Beside it stands a “timeline tower” listing Brown’s most famous songs in chronological order.
Visitors will also learn the history of the man known as the “Godfather of Go-Go.” The venue is scheduled to open this summer.
Mayor Gray said the pavilion was created “in order the make sure we don’t forget Chuck,” and he added, “It would be a place where young musicians in the future will be able to come and perform and hopefully perform some of Chuck’s great songs.”
The same design firm that restored the interior of the historic Howard Theatre where Brown often performed, Marshall Moya Design, also designed the Chuck Brown Pavilion.
Brown daughter Cherita Whiting said the final design was one of several presented for the family’s blessing. Construction will begin on the memorial soon, and Whiting said she hoped to see a ribbon-cutting May 16, the first anniversary of Brown’s passing, or Aug. 22, which would have been his 77th birthday.
“I think my dad would be very proud and extremely happy to be honored like that,” she said.
- Donald Trump: Obama Blew it for Future Black President Hopefuls
- The Socialist's Journal: The Value of Lives (Cecil the Lion)
- Min. Paul Scott/Straight Outta Con Man: Exposin’ the Truth About NWA
- 'Straight Outta Compton' Cast Talks' Straight Outta Compton' (Watch)
- Karen Clark Sheard Drops Highly Anticipated New Release 'Destined to Win'
- THE (08-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Raynette Turner's Death Leads to Probe by State Appointed Special Prosecutor
- Snoop Dogg Has Over $200K Seized at Italian Airport
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’: The Most Important Film of the Year
- Bobbi Kristina and Whitney: Reunited in Death; Buried Side by Side
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here