*“Django Unchained” has become Quentin Tarantino‘s top-grossing film at the North American box office with nearly $130 million and counting, eclipsing the $120 million earned domestically by “Inglourious Basterds” in 2009.
“Django” — starring Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington and Samuel L. Jackson — has yet to make a major push overseas, according to The Hollywood Reporter. “Basterds” took in $200.9 million internationally for a worldwide total of $321.5 million.
Harvey and Bob Weinstein partnered with Sony on “Django.” The Weinstein Co. is handling the domestic release, while Sony has international duties.
“Django” scored five Academy Award nominations, including best picture, best original screenplay (Tarantino) and best supporting actor (Waltz).
“Bob and I have had the most extraordinary filmmaker relationship with Quentin Tarantino, and we are proud to be here for this incredible milestone,” Harvey Weinstein said. “We also appreciate working with Amy Pascal, Michael Lynton and the incredible Sony team on this project. They have been great partners internationally.”
“Django,” about a slave who is freed by a bounty hunter in the pre-Civil War South, has become a cultural lightning rod for its pervasive use of the N-word. And Spike Lee has blasted Tarantino for reducing the horrors of slavery to a spaghetti Western.
Not everyone agrees with Lee’s stance.
In a statement released by the Rainbow Coalition, Jesse Jackson praises “Django” for capturing “the cultural, physical and psychological pain heaped upon the lives of men and women of African descent, expressing in dramatic terms the existential nightmare endured by so many for so long.
Said Jackson: “By this measure, the scar of violence, exploitation and subrogation made evident — and the focus of this film — is not just a picture of random violence but portrays America at its lowest moment as a nation. The violence that we see portrayed in this drama might well renew our focus on the 256 years of racial violence that continues to be an indelible chapter in the history that is America.”
- Khloe Kardashian, Lamar Odom Officially End Their Marriage
- K. Michelle Performs at Sold Out Honey Jam Concert, Joined By 'Rebels'
- Browns Suspicious Houstons Will Sneak Pic of Bobbi Kristina's Body: Report
- DIY Zen Living: Make the Most of Whatever Outdoor Space You Have
- The Wiz Casting, Bobbi Kristina, Racial Profiling App, Janet Jackson & More| BHL
- Whoa! Baltimore Sees 43 Homicides in July - A 43 Year Record for A Single Month
- Family Dynamics Cause Scare in Saturday's 'Flex & Shanice' (WATCH)
- Janet Jackson Continues Tour Rehearsal, Set to Perform at iHeartRadio Festival
- Lauryn Hill Performs Nina Simone’s ‘Feeling Good’ on ‘Fallon’ (Watch)
- Azealia Banks Shades Erykah Badu for Having Multiple Baby Daddies
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here