*“Django Unchained” has become Quentin Tarantino‘s top-grossing film at the North American box office with nearly $130 million and counting, eclipsing the $120 million earned domestically by “Inglourious Basterds” in 2009.
“Django” — starring Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington and Samuel L. Jackson — has yet to make a major push overseas, according to The Hollywood Reporter. “Basterds” took in $200.9 million internationally for a worldwide total of $321.5 million.
Harvey and Bob Weinstein partnered with Sony on “Django.” The Weinstein Co. is handling the domestic release, while Sony has international duties.
“Django” scored five Academy Award nominations, including best picture, best original screenplay (Tarantino) and best supporting actor (Waltz).
“Bob and I have had the most extraordinary filmmaker relationship with Quentin Tarantino, and we are proud to be here for this incredible milestone,” Harvey Weinstein said. “We also appreciate working with Amy Pascal, Michael Lynton and the incredible Sony team on this project. They have been great partners internationally.”
“Django,” about a slave who is freed by a bounty hunter in the pre-Civil War South, has become a cultural lightning rod for its pervasive use of the N-word. And Spike Lee has blasted Tarantino for reducing the horrors of slavery to a spaghetti Western.
Not everyone agrees with Lee’s stance.
In a statement released by the Rainbow Coalition, Jesse Jackson praises “Django” for capturing “the cultural, physical and psychological pain heaped upon the lives of men and women of African descent, expressing in dramatic terms the existential nightmare endured by so many for so long.
Said Jackson: “By this measure, the scar of violence, exploitation and subrogation made evident — and the focus of this film — is not just a picture of random violence but portrays America at its lowest moment as a nation. The violence that we see portrayed in this drama might well renew our focus on the 256 years of racial violence that continues to be an indelible chapter in the history that is America.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EURweb Covers the 'Creed' Movie Premiere (WATCH)
- Jasmyne Cannick: Before Cops Encourage the Public to Snitch Maybe They Should Lead By Example (VIDEO)
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- RECAP: Empire (S2, Ep9) Sinned Against
- Jason Kidd Suspended for Slapping Ball Out of Ref’s Hand (Watch)
- Mariah Carey, Ex-Husband Nick Cannon Spend Thanksgiving Together
- Siri Gives Taraji P. Henson Attitude in New Apple Music Ad
- Provocative New Ebook Details Trump and the GOP’s Race Baiting History and the White House Race
- Put the 'Black' Back in 'Black Friday'
- Kerry Washington Gives Props to her Hubby: ‘The Real Gladiator’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here