*The Dallas News is reporting that testimony began this morning in the capital murder trial of Nicky Van Exel, the son of former NBA point guard and current Atlanta Hawks assistant coach, Nick Van Exel.
Nickey Van Exel, 22, is accused of fatally shooting his long-time friend Bradley Eyo in the chest with a shotgun at Van Exel’s home in December 2010.
According to police, Van Exel later confessed to the shooting, saying that he didn’t realize the gun was loaded.
But what Van Exel did next never made sense to Eyo’s father, who told us back in 2010 he did not think the shooting was an accident.
Van Exel, who faces up to life in prison, told police that after shooting his 23-year-old friend, he wrapped him in plastic, dragged him to his garage and loaded him into the back of his Chevrolet sport utility vehicle, according to police documents.
Authorities believe Van Exel drove his friend’s body over to an area just west of Lake Ray Hubbard and dumped the body. He went back home and cleaned his bedroom and stairs and then left again, Van Exel later told police, this time to get rid of the gun in a North Dallas creek.
Though he was initially arrested days after the shooting on a capital murder charge, Van Exel was indicted in January 2011 on the lesser charge of manslaughter.
But later in 2011, court records show Van Exel was indicted again, this time on a charge of capital murder. The indictment reads that he shot his friend, “in the course of committing and attempting to commit the offense of retaliation.”
The report says it’s unclear exactly what prosecutors believe Van Exel was retaliating for, but a court proceeding outside the presence of the jury late Monday afternoon offered some hints.
Read more at Dallas News.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Master P's Ex Has 'Stripper' Goals - Meet Ayesha Curry's Alter Ego
- First Footage & New Character Pics from Tupac Biopic 'All Eyez On Me' (Watch)
- Pink Recalls the Time Prince Rejected Her Duet Request: 'I Told Him He Was a Rude F**k'
- New Trailer: Barack and Michelle's First Date in ‘Southside With You’
- Usher’s Snapchat Fail Results in Inadvertent D*** Pic
- NFL’s DeAndre Levy Urges Fellow Athletes to ‘Man Up’ Against Sexual Assault
- Urban Prep’s Entire Senior Class College Bound for 7th Consecutive Year
- Baltimore's Fox45 News Station Evacuated after Bomb Threat
- Tracy Morgan Says Prince Music 'Taught Me How to Be Gentle'
- Viola Davis Inks Production Deal with ABC Studios
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here