*Frank Ocean has just added another nomination to the stash already collected for his critically-acclaimed album “Channel Orange.”
In addition to his six Grammy nods, the R&B singer is now up for a prize at the forthcoming GLAAD Media Awards, which recognize “outstanding images of the LGBT community” across all forms of media, including music and film.
After opening up about a prior relationship with a man in a heartfelt letter in July and later chronicling that relationship on his Grammy-nominated album Channel Orange, Ocean has been nominated for Outstanding Music Artist. He’ll go up against the Scissor Sisters (Magic Hour), Rufus Wainwright (Out of the Game), Gossip (A Joyful Noise) and Adam Lambert (Trespassing).
Among the nominees for Outstanding Film – Wide Release are the big-screen adaptation of “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” as well as “ParaNorman,” “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel,” “Your Sister’s Sister” and “Cloud Atlas.”
On the small screen, “Glee,” “Go On,” “Happy Endings,” “Modern Family,” and “The New Normal” are all up for Outstanding Comedy Series, while “Degrassi,” “Smash,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “True Blood” and “The L.A. Complex” will battle it out for Outstanding Drama Series.
“Images and stories from the LGBT community continue to push support for equality to historic levels,” GLAAD President Herndon Graddick said in a statement posted on the organization’s website. “This year’s nominees enlighten and entertain, but also reflect a new American landscape where a growing majority accept and value their LGBT family, colleagues and friends. Now more than ever, viewers not only accept gay and transgender characters and plot lines, they expect them — just as they both accept and expect LGBT people to be a valuable part of their everyday lives.”
The awards will be handed out at three separate ceremonies in New York on March 16, Los Angeles on April 20 and in San Francisco on May 11. Each ceremony will also recognize special nominees who will be announced at a later time.
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Aretha Franklin Sues to Block ‘Amazing Grace’ Screening at Telluride
- Pitbull Announces Date of His ‘Empire’ Episode and Jussie Smollett Duet (Listen)
- Watch Chilling New Trailer for Idris Elba’s ‘Beasts of No Nation’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here