*A funeral service will be held in Baltimore today for Robert F. Chew, the actor best known for his role as narcotics kingpin Proposition Joe on HBO’s “The Wire.”
As previously reported, the actor and teacher died Jan. 17 of apparent heart failure while asleep in his Baltimore home. He was 52.
In addition to “The Wire,” Chew also appeared on “Homicide: Life on the Street” and “The Corner,” both set in Baltimore and written by “The Wire” creator David Simon.
When he wasn’t on set, Chew taught young-adult actors at Baltimore’s Arena Players, through which he helped 22 of his students land parts on the HBO series. During “The Wire’s” fourth season, which focused on the Baltimore City School System, Chew mentored the young actors cast alongside him.
“Robert was not only an exceptional actor, he was an essential part of the film and theater community in Baltimore,” Simon told The Baltimore Sun in an e-mail Friday. “He could have gone to New York or Los Angeles and commanded a lot more work, but he loved the city as his home and chose to remain here working. He understood so much about his craft that it was no surprise at all that we would go to him to coach our young actors in season four. He was the conduit through which they internalized their remarkable performances.”
Regarding Chew’s portrayal of Prop Joe, Simon added: “‘The Wire’ cast was an embarrassment of riches and it was easy, I think, for outsiders to overlook some of those who were so essential as supporting players. Robert’s depiction of Proposition Joe was so fixed and complete — from the very earliest scenes — that the writers took for granted that anything we sent him would be finely executed.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ray and Janay Rice Announce they Are Expecting Baby Number 2
- Fox Gives First Look at Fierce Films for 2016
- Derrick Rose Rape Accuser Pleads Not to Have Identity Revealed
- A Poisonous Spider Down Under Bites a Man...Down Under!
- A Broke Pilar Sanders Pleads with Court to Continue Her Case
- VIDEO: Deya Gets Direct With Denise Boutte on the Fantastic Voyage '16
- Drake Says New Album 'Views' Sold 630,000 Copies in One Night!
- Lakers Announce Luke Walton as New Head Coach
- John Wayne's Ultra-Racist Views of African Americans Ran Deep
- Parking Lot Crowded, Can't Locate Your Car? Meet 'Zus'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here