*A funeral service will be held in Baltimore today for Robert F. Chew, the actor best known for his role as narcotics kingpin Proposition Joe on HBO’s “The Wire.”
As previously reported, the actor and teacher died Jan. 17 of apparent heart failure while asleep in his Baltimore home. He was 52.
In addition to “The Wire,” Chew also appeared on “Homicide: Life on the Street” and “The Corner,” both set in Baltimore and written by “The Wire” creator David Simon.
When he wasn’t on set, Chew taught young-adult actors at Baltimore’s Arena Players, through which he helped 22 of his students land parts on the HBO series. During “The Wire’s” fourth season, which focused on the Baltimore City School System, Chew mentored the young actors cast alongside him.
“Robert was not only an exceptional actor, he was an essential part of the film and theater community in Baltimore,” Simon told The Baltimore Sun in an e-mail Friday. “He could have gone to New York or Los Angeles and commanded a lot more work, but he loved the city as his home and chose to remain here working. He understood so much about his craft that it was no surprise at all that we would go to him to coach our young actors in season four. He was the conduit through which they internalized their remarkable performances.”
Regarding Chew’s portrayal of Prop Joe, Simon added: “‘The Wire’ cast was an embarrassment of riches and it was easy, I think, for outsiders to overlook some of those who were so essential as supporting players. Robert’s depiction of Proposition Joe was so fixed and complete — from the very earliest scenes — that the writers took for granted that anything we sent him would be finely executed.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (05-31-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Dwayne Johnson’s Meal Plan Involves Eating 10 Pounds of Food Everyday
- Janet Jackson’s Trainer Reveals How to Get Her Famous Abs
- Snoop Dogg Blasts 'Roots' Reboot; Won't be Watching
- Police Say This Interracial 'Online Date' Ended in Woman's Death
- Zoo Director on Why Gorilla Was Killed and Not Tranquilized
- Activist Najee Ali Calling for Boycott of New 'Block Wars' App by The Game
- Disgraced Cop Daniel Hotlzclaw Denies Raping Poor Black Women
- First Listen: Half Mile Home's 'Thinking of Me'
- Big Boi Meme Comparing Mothers of Today & 70s Causes Black Twitter Outrage
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here