*Star Jones, Angela Bassett and gospel singer Yolanda Adams are the latest stars to join the Inauguration festivities in D.C.
The Presidential Inaugural Committee said Tuesday that one of the week’s events — the “Service Summit” — will feature addresses by Jones, Bassett and Adams as well as inaugural committee co-chair Eva Longoria, Chelsea Clinton and singer-songwriter Ben Folds.
The event, a kind of good works fair on the National Mall, gives more than 100 community service organizations a chance to demonstrate their projects and sign up volunteers for the “National Day of Service” that the first family promotes as a way of honoring the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
“We could not be more excited that so many distinguished Americans are answering the president and vice president’s call to serve,” inaugural committee spokeswoman Addie Whisenant said in a statement. “The service fair on the National Mall undoubtedly will capture the spirit of shared commitment and ongoing service so important to President Obama, Vice President Biden and their families.”
Meanwhile, e-mail invitations from singer Cyndi Lauper have gone out inviting recipients to contribute to the Democratic Congressional Committee’s fundraising efforts to recapture the House of Representatives in 2014. The e-mail invites recipients to enter a sweepstakes to win a trip to the inauguration and two tickets to an unofficial inaugural ball and a “private concert for Nancy Pelosi and Democratic members of Congress.”
“I’m a musician,” Lauper writers. “It’s what I love, and it’s a big part of who I am. Next to that, the most important part of my identity: I’m an activist. And when I get a chance to use my music to support the Democratic Party on progressive causes like marriage equality, it’s such a thrill.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Steven Ivory: If You're Tired of Starting Over....
- Omarosa to Host the 2015 African American Vanguard Awards
- Sorry Hillary: T.I Doesn’t Want a Woman as President
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Talks Pressure Playing O.J. Simpson in ‘Crime Story’
- Will Packer Talks 'Organic Diversity' of New 'Truth Be Told' Series (EUR Exclusive)
- A ‘Much Happier’ NeNe Leakes Reflects on Leaving RHOA, Possible Return
- 'Horrific Video' of 2 Friends Speeding to Their Death Released (Watch)
- Janet Jackson Scores Seventh No. 1 Album With ‘Unbreakable’
- Obama Impersonator Iman Crosson Hits Trump Where It Hurts
- Heartbroken Former Obama Supporter Gives Full Support to Trump [WATCH]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here