*Star Jones, Angela Bassett and gospel singer Yolanda Adams are the latest stars to join the Inauguration festivities in D.C.
The Presidential Inaugural Committee said Tuesday that one of the week’s events — the “Service Summit” — will feature addresses by Jones, Bassett and Adams as well as inaugural committee co-chair Eva Longoria, Chelsea Clinton and singer-songwriter Ben Folds.
The event, a kind of good works fair on the National Mall, gives more than 100 community service organizations a chance to demonstrate their projects and sign up volunteers for the “National Day of Service” that the first family promotes as a way of honoring the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
“We could not be more excited that so many distinguished Americans are answering the president and vice president’s call to serve,” inaugural committee spokeswoman Addie Whisenant said in a statement. “The service fair on the National Mall undoubtedly will capture the spirit of shared commitment and ongoing service so important to President Obama, Vice President Biden and their families.”
Meanwhile, e-mail invitations from singer Cyndi Lauper have gone out inviting recipients to contribute to the Democratic Congressional Committee’s fundraising efforts to recapture the House of Representatives in 2014. The e-mail invites recipients to enter a sweepstakes to win a trip to the inauguration and two tickets to an unofficial inaugural ball and a “private concert for Nancy Pelosi and Democratic members of Congress.”
“I’m a musician,” Lauper writers. “It’s what I love, and it’s a big part of who I am. Next to that, the most important part of my identity: I’m an activist. And when I get a chance to use my music to support the Democratic Party on progressive causes like marriage equality, it’s such a thrill.”
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here