*Serena Williams has passed the torch to a new generation of American women tennis players.
For the first time in her career, the champion athlete lost the Australian Open to another, younger (African) American woman, Sloane Stephens.
In fact, there were a lot of first for the budding queen of tennis, as they say.
Australian Open Update: After Defeating Serena Williams, Wednesday, Sloane Stephens Lost Her Semi Finals match to Victoria Azarenka – Get the Full Story (and Watch Highlights) at ESPN Tennis
This was Sloane’s first major victory and first win against one of the Williams sisters for her generation.
It could be a start of something new, or not.
Serena was suffering back spasms during the match and pain was shooting throughout the middle of the second set. However, Sloane’s skills somehow suffered after Serena’s injury.
At the end of the day, the victory was clearly Sloane’s. And from there, the media’s chatter about Serena being her mentor began.
A reporter approached after the match, beginning her line of questioning with “As a mentor for …” Serena quickly and bluntly corrected the reporter saying, “Honestly, I’ve never really given her advice.”
Was the commentary rooted in race? Both Sloane and Serena are black.
Commentators hadn’t before described any of Serena’s victors her mentees, most of which have been white foreigners.
It’s an interesting topic for discussion.
Read more at the New Yorker.
- Kim Coles' Fairytale Wedding Set to Air on WEtv
- Brooklyn Woman Accepts Meager $10K for Cops' Harassment Over Dead Husband
- Tomica Wright Talks Eazy-E's Legacy in Unreleased Documentary
- Reginald Hudlin, David Hill Tapped to Give 88th Oscars a Makeover
- Will Master P’s Ex-Wife Drama Be Included in Reality Show?
- Gov. Nikki Haley to #BlackLivesMatter: You Don’t Have to ‘Yell and Scream’ (Watch)
- Dwight Howard Brings Loaded Glock to Houston Airport, Avoids Arrest
- RGIII Gets Standing Ovation at Redskins Event
- Watch ‘Melville’, the SXSW Short Michael Strahan is Developing for TV
- AcaciaTV Strives To Increase Diversity In Fitness Videos, Training
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here