*Serena Williams has passed the torch to a new generation of American women tennis players.
For the first time in her career, the champion athlete lost the Australian Open to another, younger (African) American woman, Sloane Stephens.
In fact, there were a lot of first for the budding queen of tennis, as they say.
Australian Open Update: After Defeating Serena Williams, Wednesday, Sloane Stephens Lost Her Semi Finals match to Victoria Azarenka – Get the Full Story (and Watch Highlights) at ESPN Tennis
This was Sloane’s first major victory and first win against one of the Williams sisters for her generation.
It could be a start of something new, or not.
Serena was suffering back spasms during the match and pain was shooting throughout the middle of the second set. However, Sloane’s skills somehow suffered after Serena’s injury.
At the end of the day, the victory was clearly Sloane’s. And from there, the media’s chatter about Serena being her mentor began.
A reporter approached after the match, beginning her line of questioning with “As a mentor for …” Serena quickly and bluntly corrected the reporter saying, “Honestly, I’ve never really given her advice.”
Was the commentary rooted in race? Both Sloane and Serena are black.
Commentators hadn’t before described any of Serena’s victors her mentees, most of which have been white foreigners.
It’s an interesting topic for discussion.
Read more at the New Yorker.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Demolition of Aretha Franklin’s Birth Home Postponed
- Overcoming Dating Burnout: How to Thrive in the Deprived Dating Scene
- Daddy & Daughter Release Book for Brooklyn, NYC Tourists
- THE (07-01-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Nia Long on ‘Boyz n the Hood’ 25th Anniversary & Becoming an Oscar Voter (WATCH)
- Birdman: 'I Got A Million Dollars Under My Mattress'
- #DeyaDoesEssence! Meet Me in the Big Easy!
- Stacey Dash Filed for Bankruptcy in 2004, Had $7 in Bank Before Fiance’s Handouts
- Racist Woman to Reporter: ‘Get the F*ck Out of Here, You Stupid F*cking N*gger’ (WATCH)
- Damon Dash Explains Issue with BeyHive Harassing His Daughters
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here