*Jennifer Hudson will join 26 students from Sandy Hook Elementary School in singing “America the Beautiful” during the Super Bowl XLVII pregame show on Sunday, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said Thursday.
It will be the second poignant Super Bowl pregame performance from Hudson, who performed the National Anthem before Super Bowl XLIII in what was her first public appearance after her estranged brother-in-law murdered her mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew.
The NFL invited the students to sing a little more than a month after 26 children and faculty members were killed in the tragic mass shooting in Newtown, Conn, reports USA Today.
The league is flying the students and their families to New Orleans later this week in advance of the performance, which will be broadcast live on CBS shortly before Alicia Keys performs the National Anthem.
The gesture will cap a season in which the league lent its support to the Newtown community via “S.H.E.S.” stickers on helmets, personal messages on cleats and gloves, moments of silence before games and charitable donations for relief causes, as well other means of emotional support.
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Dorien Wilson is ‘In The Cut’ on Bounce TV with Jackee’ Harry
- Celebs U Wish U Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here