*Jennifer Hudson will join 26 students from Sandy Hook Elementary School in singing “America the Beautiful” during the Super Bowl XLVII pregame show on Sunday, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said Thursday.
It will be the second poignant Super Bowl pregame performance from Hudson, who performed the National Anthem before Super Bowl XLIII in what was her first public appearance after her estranged brother-in-law murdered her mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew.
The NFL invited the students to sing a little more than a month after 26 children and faculty members were killed in the tragic mass shooting in Newtown, Conn, reports USA Today.
The league is flying the students and their families to New Orleans later this week in advance of the performance, which will be broadcast live on CBS shortly before Alicia Keys performs the National Anthem.
The gesture will cap a season in which the league lent its support to the Newtown community via “S.H.E.S.” stickers on helmets, personal messages on cleats and gloves, moments of silence before games and charitable donations for relief causes, as well other means of emotional support.
- Teddy Pendergrass, Angie Stone Team For Posthumous ‘Love TKO’ Duet (LISTEN)
- Is the Media Still on that 'Make Black People Look Bad' Thing?
- THE (08-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Neo-Soul Duo Presents Annual ‘Kindred the Family Reunion’ in Philly
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here