*Jennifer Hudson will join 26 students from Sandy Hook Elementary School in singing “America the Beautiful” during the Super Bowl XLVII pregame show on Sunday, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said Thursday.
It will be the second poignant Super Bowl pregame performance from Hudson, who performed the National Anthem before Super Bowl XLIII in what was her first public appearance after her estranged brother-in-law murdered her mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew.
The NFL invited the students to sing a little more than a month after 26 children and faculty members were killed in the tragic mass shooting in Newtown, Conn, reports USA Today.
The league is flying the students and their families to New Orleans later this week in advance of the performance, which will be broadcast live on CBS shortly before Alicia Keys performs the National Anthem.
The gesture will cap a season in which the league lent its support to the Newtown community via “S.H.E.S.” stickers on helmets, personal messages on cleats and gloves, moments of silence before games and charitable donations for relief causes, as well other means of emotional support.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (02-09-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ray J Issues Goes Legal on Ex-Business Partner Over Past Kim K Drama
- Beyoncé's Rep Responds to 'B.E.A.T.' Filmmakers 'Credit' Controversy
- What Should Society Do With An 11-Year-Old Murderer?
- Is This the REAL Reason Cam Walked Out of Press Conference? (WATCH)
- Misty Copeland's ‘Ballerina’s Tale’ Also Highlights the #BalletSoWhite Issue
- Ava DuVernay Being Courted to Direct Two Feature Films
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here