*Filmmaker Allen Hughes goes solo for the first time with “Broken City,” a crime film currently in theaters starring Mark Wahlberg, Russell Crowe, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Jeffrey Wright.
Wahlberg plays Billy Taggert, a private investigator hired by the mayor of New York City (Crowe) to look into his wife (Zeta-Jones) and find out if she’s having an affair. As a result of the investigation, Taggart learns there is more to the mayor than meets the eye.
Wright plays the New York City police commissioner – who gives the strong-willed mayor a run for his money.
“It goes back to Shakespeare,” says Wright regarding the film’s plot. “Look at Julius Caesar, which is the same kind of story about power, corruption and betrayal set in a political landscape. This is just rich fertile ground for storytelling. So probably, unfortunately, these types of stories will always have relevance.”
Wright, according to Chicago Tribune film critic Michael Phillips, “commits larceny and quietly steals the movie.”
“Broken City” marks rarified air for both Wright and his director. It marks the first time Allen has gotten behind the camera without his twin brother Albert Hughes. As the Hughes Brothers, their resume includes “Menace II Society,” “Dead Presidents,” “The Book of Eli” and the documentary “American Pimp.”
Wright, whose career spans over two decades and includes such memorable turns as “Basquiat,” “Ali,” “Cadillac Records” and “The Ides of March,” says a project like this – with both an African American director and screenwriter (Brian Tucker) – has been rare for him.
“Broken City” is currently in theaters. Watch a trailer below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Trump Tweets Pic of Himself Eating Taco for Cinco de Mayo; Writes ‘I Love Hispanics!’
- Whoopi Goldberg Ready to Leave ‘The View’?
- 50 Cent Donates $100,000 to Autism Speaks after Mocking Teen
- Genealogical Firm Vets Man Claiming to be Prince’s Biological Son
- Watch ‘Little Miss Flint’ Run Into President Obama’s Arms (Video)
- Paul McCartney Covers ‘Let’s Go Crazy’ During Minneapolis Concert (Watch)
- Beyonce Adds Dates to North American Leg of Formation Tour
- NewsOne Now: Chicago Pastor Sues Police for Road Rage Attack (WATCH)
- Puff Daddy Announces Retirement from Music to Focus on Acting
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Cast, Directors Talk Black Panther, Spider-Man and ‘Selfish’ Cap (EUR Exclusive)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here