*Well, tonight’s the night.
“American Idol” begins its 12th season at 8 p.m. amid anticipation fomented for months by reported bickering between new judges Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey.
Ever since the leaked video of Minaj yelling at Mariah during an audition taping in October and subsequent reports that they don’t get along, the two have done much to downplay any lingering animosity – with a wink, of course. After all, they’re trying to pump up a show that has seen its ratings cool off in recent years.
Producers appear willing to ride this beef train until the wheels fall off. On “Today” this morning, “Idol” host Ryan Seacrest said tonight’s premiere will show the two fighting in an elevator in one of the first scenes.
EURweb sat down with both Nicki and Mariah separately at the recent TCA Winter Press Tour to get the final word on the exact nature of their relationship. Nicki seemed eager to move beyond the subject. Asked if the whole media fixation on the feud is frustrating or disappointing, she said – it’s neither.
“I mean those are some big words to use for a situation that’s this ridiculous,” she told us. “It’s not a big deal. It’s not frustrating, it’s not disappointing, it’s not the end of the world. It’s just – it happened and of course the press are gonna talk about it. Why wouldn’t they?”
Mariah, on the other hand, used a general question about group dynamics to vent her frustration with those on the judging panel who are unable to move past an argument. (Gee, wonder who could she be talking about? Randy Jackson? Keith Urban?)
Asked if she plays well with others during times when the panel has to reach a consensus on a contestant – a question that had nothing to do with Nicki directly – Minaj appeared to be the lone person on Mariah’s mind in her answer. She would neither confirm nor deny.
Listen to her response below and you be the judge (no pun intended).
Let’s just say, the live shows should be interesting with these two on the same panel. “American Idol” season 12 premieres tonight (Jan. 16) at 8 p.m. on FOX. Watch a promo below.
- Fellas Define Feminism At MTV VMAs (Watch)
- Ten Years After Hurricane Katrina: Changing Hearts, Minds and Systems in New Orleans
- Eunice Moseley Featured Expert in Dr. Logan Westbrooks’ ‘The Anatomy of the Music Industry’
- Best Ranking of the Most Badass Fictional Weapons
- THE (09-04-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Deya Direct Takes the Man Whisperer Conversation to the Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion!
- Student Who Made Light of Deputy's Death Online, and Showed Support for #Blacklivesmatter, Arrested
- Inside Broadway: A Conversation with Broadway Veteran Chapman Roberts
- Teyana Taylor Expecting First Child with Iman Shumpert
- Cynthia Bailey Could Be Demoted on 'Housewives' for Kicking Porsha
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here