*The issue of race inevitably came up during a Q&A panel for “Deception,” NBC’s anticipated new drama that follows the bold footsteps of “Scandal” by featuring a black actress, Meagan Good, in the lead role.
“One thing that I thought was really cool is when I read the script, the characters were not specified [by] race,” Good told reporters Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena.
Premiering tonight (Jan. 7) at 10 p.m., the series follows Good’s character, an LAPD detective named Joanna Locasto, who goes undercover inside of the wealthy family home of her childhood friend in order to solve her murder. Laz Alonso plays FBI agent Will Moreno, who enlists Locasto – also his one time lover – to help solve the homicide.
Asked Sunday if race will play a factor in the show’s storyline this season, executive producer Liz Heldens said the lead characters’ skin color “is a way to sort of deal with race without actually having to talk about it. But it’s not really something we talk about too much in the writers’ room.”
Added Good of the script: “It wasn’t like, you know, this young black girl, anything. It was just Joanna. And I thought that was really great with both Laz and my character.”
“My character, when I was cast, his last name was Sackavich,” Alonso told reporters. “Now he’s Moreno. It makes a little more sense. Throw a little bit of my Spanish in there every now and then when I get a chance, but for me it’s been great to play a well-rounded human being regardless of color or racial ethnicity.”
Scoring the lead role in a network primetime drama as an African American actress is like hitting the Powerball. However, Meagan always believed she had the goods to make it happen – even though she’s been told on occasion that this industry would never take her seriously because of her looks. Listen below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Azealia Banks Advises Beyonce to 'Stay Under Jay-z’s Foot'
- Man Who Read Book at Beyonce Concert Explains; Reveals Title
- Video of Prince’s Emergency Landing in Illinois Released (Watch)
- ‘Empire’s’ Trai Byers, Grace Gealey Share Honeymoon Pics from Europe
- Faith Evans, Eric Benet, Aloe Blacc Added to Prince Tribute in L.A.
- Adele Stops Her Concert to Praise Beyonce; Calls Her ‘Jesus F***ing Christ’ (Watch)
- Why You Suddenly Heard Prince Music on ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and ‘Scandal’
- 7-Year-Old Girl Wins Handwriting Competition With No Hands
- Blac Chyna, Rob Kardashian Confirm Pregnancy with Baby Bump Emoji
- Elise Neal, Eriq LaSalle Join Hugh Jackman in ‘Wolverine 3’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here