*The issue of race inevitably came up during a Q&A panel for “Deception,” NBC’s anticipated new drama that follows the bold footsteps of “Scandal” by featuring a black actress, Meagan Good, in the lead role.
“One thing that I thought was really cool is when I read the script, the characters were not specified [by] race,” Good told reporters Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena.
Premiering tonight (Jan. 7) at 10 p.m., the series follows Good’s character, an LAPD detective named Joanna Locasto, who goes undercover inside of the wealthy family home of her childhood friend in order to solve her murder. Laz Alonso plays FBI agent Will Moreno, who enlists Locasto – also his one time lover – to help solve the homicide.
Asked Sunday if race will play a factor in the show’s storyline this season, executive producer Liz Heldens said the lead characters’ skin color “is a way to sort of deal with race without actually having to talk about it. But it’s not really something we talk about too much in the writers’ room.”
Added Good of the script: “It wasn’t like, you know, this young black girl, anything. It was just Joanna. And I thought that was really great with both Laz and my character.”
“My character, when I was cast, his last name was Sackavich,” Alonso told reporters. “Now he’s Moreno. It makes a little more sense. Throw a little bit of my Spanish in there every now and then when I get a chance, but for me it’s been great to play a well-rounded human being regardless of color or racial ethnicity.”
Scoring the lead role in a network primetime drama as an African American actress is like hitting the Powerball. However, Meagan always believed she had the goods to make it happen – even though she’s been told on occasion that this industry would never take her seriously because of her looks. Listen below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Rihanna Talks Casual Sex, Rachel Dolezal, Wanting to Change Chris Brown
- Health: You Could Possibly Have A Hidden Illness if Any of These Symptoms Show Up
- 27 Bill Cosby Accusers Set for NBC ‘Dateline’ Special (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Taps Husband Vince for Emotional 'DWTS' Routine (Watch)
- F. Gary Gray in Talks to Direct ‘Fast and Furious 8’
- Wendy Williams Wants Terrence Howard Off 'Empire'; He Responds
- EUR On the Scene: The 18th Annual First Ladies High Tea (WATCH)
- Iyanla Vanzant Gets Real as Woman Confronts Gay Pastor Husband
- Memo to Publisher McGraw-Hill: 'Slaves' Were Not 'Workers' (Watch)
- Tupac Planned to Kill ‘Thug Life’ Via 'Thug Life is Dead' Letter
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here