*The issue of race inevitably came up during a Q&A panel for “Deception,” NBC’s anticipated new drama that follows the bold footsteps of “Scandal” by featuring a black actress, Meagan Good, in the lead role.
“One thing that I thought was really cool is when I read the script, the characters were not specified [by] race,” Good told reporters Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena.
Premiering tonight (Jan. 7) at 10 p.m., the series follows Good’s character, an LAPD detective named Joanna Locasto, who goes undercover inside of the wealthy family home of her childhood friend in order to solve her murder. Laz Alonso plays FBI agent Will Moreno, who enlists Locasto – also his one time lover – to help solve the homicide.
Asked Sunday if race will play a factor in the show’s storyline this season, executive producer Liz Heldens said the lead characters’ skin color “is a way to sort of deal with race without actually having to talk about it. But it’s not really something we talk about too much in the writers’ room.”
Added Good of the script: “It wasn’t like, you know, this young black girl, anything. It was just Joanna. And I thought that was really great with both Laz and my character.”
“My character, when I was cast, his last name was Sackavich,” Alonso told reporters. “Now he’s Moreno. It makes a little more sense. Throw a little bit of my Spanish in there every now and then when I get a chance, but for me it’s been great to play a well-rounded human being regardless of color or racial ethnicity.”
Scoring the lead role in a network primetime drama as an African American actress is like hitting the Powerball. However, Meagan always believed she had the goods to make it happen – even though she’s been told on occasion that this industry would never take her seriously because of her looks. Listen below.
- DC’s NFL Team: RG3 Demoted; DeSean Jackson Pisses Off Women
- Hulk Hogan Says He Was Suicidal Over N-Word Scandal: ‘I'm Not A Racist’ (Watch)
- Producers of Katrina Relief Telethon Reflect on 'Kanye Moment' for 10th Anniversary
- Allergic to Clothes: Indian Farmer Has Been Naked for 40 Years!
- Pres. Obama to Appear on NBC’s ‘Running Wild With Bear Grylls’…For Real
- John Legend Taking His Talents to ‘The SpongeBob Musical’
- ‘Back to This B**ch’: Why Nicki Minaj Checked Miley Cyrus on Live TV
- Black Twitter Drags Rebel Wilson Over VMA ‘Stripper Police’ Bit
- Nile Rodgers Gets BMI Icon Award - EUR was on the Scene (WATCH)
- New Comic 'Raising Dion': Single, Black Mother with Superhuman Son
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here