*The issue of race inevitably came up during a Q&A panel for “Deception,” NBC’s anticipated new drama that follows the bold footsteps of “Scandal” by featuring a black actress, Meagan Good, in the lead role.
“One thing that I thought was really cool is when I read the script, the characters were not specified [by] race,” Good told reporters Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena.
Premiering tonight (Jan. 7) at 10 p.m., the series follows Good’s character, an LAPD detective named Joanna Locasto, who goes undercover inside of the wealthy family home of her childhood friend in order to solve her murder. Laz Alonso plays FBI agent Will Moreno, who enlists Locasto – also his one time lover – to help solve the homicide.
Asked Sunday if race will play a factor in the show’s storyline this season, executive producer Liz Heldens said the lead characters’ skin color “is a way to sort of deal with race without actually having to talk about it. But it’s not really something we talk about too much in the writers’ room.”
Added Good of the script: “It wasn’t like, you know, this young black girl, anything. It was just Joanna. And I thought that was really great with both Laz and my character.”
“My character, when I was cast, his last name was Sackavich,” Alonso told reporters. “Now he’s Moreno. It makes a little more sense. Throw a little bit of my Spanish in there every now and then when I get a chance, but for me it’s been great to play a well-rounded human being regardless of color or racial ethnicity.”
Scoring the lead role in a network primetime drama as an African American actress is like hitting the Powerball. However, Meagan always believed she had the goods to make it happen – even though she’s been told on occasion that this industry would never take her seriously because of her looks. Listen below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'Too Close' Singer Raphael Brown Wins Sole Custody Of Children
- Naked and Unarmed Black Teen Fatally Shot by Austin, TX Police
- ‘Memory Hackers’ (PBS): Not Just a ‘Men In Black’ Thing Anymore
- Video Stories About 'Good Cops' Show Up (Mysteriously) in My Inbox - Should I Be Concerned?
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: It’s Still a Woman Thing with Hillary
- Blake Griffin Suspended 4 Games For Punching Clippers Trainer
- Hymn to Him: The Power of Congregational Singing!
- Patti LaBelle Joins ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Christina Aguilera
- Khloe Kardashian Joins OkCupid After Split From James Harden
- LeSean McCoy: Video of Club Brawl With Off Duty Cops (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here