*Your ministry is right in front of you. Years ago, God gave me a vision of something he wanted me to do and it was big…I mean REALLY BIG.
Immediately all of my focus was placed on making that vision a reality and I started chasing it relentlessly. If I’m honest, I believed that hand in hand with that vision came my total financial freedom and wealth. Breakthrough =Wealth. I did business plans, got other people involved, and looked for money to help fund the enormity of the project. I was pumped up to be working for God and got others pumped up with me. I even took time away from my job to help make the vision come to pass. But time was not kind and years later the vision was still just a piece of paper. Both my energy and my passion for the project began to wane.
Periodically I would ask myself and ask God if I had really heard from Him. The answer always came back that I had. One day, about five years later, I was on my face before the Lord asking him why this vision had not yet manifested itself. I told Him that I just wanted to be working for Him. He told me that I already was working for Him, and that he had given me many assignments with many more to come. I looked around me and realized that I had been so focused on the future that I had not taken care of God’s business that presented itself right in front of me, everyday.
I had a choice, I could approach each of those assignments as a nuisance, or a detour from what I considered my “big bang” purpose or I could remember that the main purpose for me being here is not to be elevated in my own mind or in the mind of others, but to live each day for and in Christ.
It reminded me of Martha in that she was so busy with the things of the world that she forgot to sit at the feet of Jesus. I wasn’t busy being about God’s work, I was running around trying to make things happen in the world. I had forgotten the old adage that God doesn’t call the equipped, He equips the called. He is preparing me to walk in all that He has for me and my attempts to take a shortcut through the hedges and across the creek aren’t going to get me there any faster. In fact, they could interfere with the process.
Following Christ is dying daily to Him and letting Him resurrect us as His Spirit leads. “Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit.” Zechariah 4:5-7. Every day comes a fresh anointing and an anticipation of what God is going to do through each of us, His willing vessels. And when the vision comes to pass, it will come to pass, if it is of God, and we will be ready.
Michele Clark Jenkins, co-founder of Sisters in Faith, is the senior director of the consulting group for Griffin & Strong, PC., Attorneys & Public Policy Consultants. She was co-creator of Real: The Complete New Testament Biblezine, writer/editor of the Children of Color Storybook Bible, and contributed to the Women of Color Devotional Bible and Wisdom and Grace Devotional Bible. She is also the author of She Speaks: Wisdom from the Women of the Bible to the Modern Black Woman, in stores January 15, 2013 (Thomas Nelson).
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- 'Ed Gordon': Bounce TV's First-Ever Primetime News Magazine Show to Debut Sept. 13
- Songs in the Key of Stevie Wonder and Imhotep Gary Byrd: Celebrating 50 Years of Friendship (EUR Exclusive)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here