*Nana Meriwether was originally the first runner-up in Donald Trump’s Miss USA pageant, but when the winner, Olivia Culpo, went on to capture Miss Universe in December – Meriwether suddenly found herself with the Miss USA crown.
On Wednesday, Trump made it official in a press conference and photo op held in New York City.
The mogul, who owns the Miss Universe organization, gushed to E! News about Meriwether (Miss Maryland) and the other women in the competition.
“They’re brilliant, they’re really into charity and the world of charity, and they’re phenomenal people,” he said. “They’re very solid. In many cases, they went to the best colleges. In the case of Nana, she was a great athlete—a volleyball player [at UCLA]. ”
Meriwether was also a pre-med student whose taken the MCAT and the LSAT. She told E! News last December she “almost went to law school, and [I’m probably gonna pursue a career in medicine at some point. ” She’s also in charge of a nonprofit, The Meriwether Foundation, which supports AIDS/HIV orphanages, clinics and schools in five African countries.
“I’m just so blessed,” Nana said Wednesday.
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’: The Most Important Film of the Year
- Bobbi Kristina and Whitney: Reunited in Death; Buried Side by Side
- Will Smith Makes it Clear: 'Jada and I are NOT GETTING A DIVORCE!'
- Melba Moore Defends Bill Cosby: 'Nobody's Perfect' (WATCH)
- Bobby Brown's Wife Alicia Etheredge Suffers Seizure After Funeral of Bobbi Kristina
- Hump Nails: Yay or Hell to the Nah! (Provide Your Own Fun Captions for Jellybean Win!)
- Ice-T & Coco Talk New Baby, New Talk Show and Breeding Out Racism
- Drama Developing: Bobbi Kristina Casket Pic Sold for Over $100K
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- The Weeknd Close to Reaching Plea Deal in Cop Hitting Case
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here