*Nearly 1 million low-paid workers will get a pay increase ranging anywhere from .10 to .35 cents per hour effective immediately.
According to Reuters, 10 states brought in the new year with a minimum raise wage hike. The raises went into effect on Tuesday in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island,Vermont and Washington. That means an extra $190 to $510 per year going into the pocket of the average minimum-wage worker, according to a study by the non-partisan National Employment Law Project, released last month.
“For a low-wage worker, these increases are a vital protection against rising costs. In states without indexing, inflation slowly erodes the value of minimum wage workers’ pay,” said David Cooper, an analyst with the nonpartisan Economic Policy Institute.
995,000 low-paid workers will benefit from the pay raises. And approximately 855,000 workers are directly affected as the new rates exceed their previous hourly pay. Another 140,000 workers are set to receive an indirect raise as pay scales are adjusted upward to reflect the new minimum, according to the Institute.
As of January 1, 19 states plus the District of Columbia have minimum wage rates above the federal level of $7.25 per hour, which translates to just over $15,000 per year for a full-time minimum wage earner, the report said.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Miami Jury Now Holds Fate of 'Facebook Killer' In Their Hands! (Disturbing Photo)
- What Does Future Require In His Concert Dressing Rooms?
- Female Characters in ‘The Wiz Live!’ Rewritten to be More Empowered
- John Hairston's Gospel Internet Radio Station Hits the Airwaves in January
- He Used to Call Me Ma’am' - A Look Back at Kobe Bryant
- $1.5 Million Bail for Cop Charged in Laquan McDonald Murder
- Keyshia Cole Casually Mentions She’s ‘Engaged’, and Not to Birdman
- Donald Trump Cancels Meeting with Black Pastors
- Eyrkah Badu to Iggy Azalea: ‘What You’re Doing Is Definitely Not Rap’ (Watch)
- Meet Ice-T and Coco’s New Baby Girl, Chanel Nicole (Pic)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here