*Nearly 1 million low-paid workers will get a pay increase ranging anywhere from .10 to .35 cents per hour effective immediately.
According to Reuters, 10 states brought in the new year with a minimum raise wage hike. The raises went into effect on Tuesday in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island,Vermont and Washington. That means an extra $190 to $510 per year going into the pocket of the average minimum-wage worker, according to a study by the non-partisan National Employment Law Project, released last month.
“For a low-wage worker, these increases are a vital protection against rising costs. In states without indexing, inflation slowly erodes the value of minimum wage workers’ pay,” said David Cooper, an analyst with the nonpartisan Economic Policy Institute.
995,000 low-paid workers will benefit from the pay raises. And approximately 855,000 workers are directly affected as the new rates exceed their previous hourly pay. Another 140,000 workers are set to receive an indirect raise as pay scales are adjusted upward to reflect the new minimum, according to the Institute.
As of January 1, 19 states plus the District of Columbia have minimum wage rates above the federal level of $7.25 per hour, which translates to just over $15,000 per year for a full-time minimum wage earner, the report said.
- Rumor or Fact? L.A. Gang Threatens to Kill 100 People in 100 Days
- POLITICO Magazine: U.S. Mayors Say Ferguson Could Also Happen in Their Cities
- New 'Legal Equalizer' App Aims to Counter Racial Profiling (WATCH)
- Martin Luther King III and Andrew Young to Attend Voting Right Press Conference
- THE (07-29-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- KDAY 93.5 FM Hosts ‘Uplifting Minds II’ National Talent Showcase Competition Saturday, October 24 at the Celebrity Centre in Hollywood
- Reggie Jackson Apologizes for Profane Outburst Against Fans
- 'Empire' Costars Trai Byers and Grace Gealey Set to be Married
- More Sandra Bland Video Released to Prove She Arrived Alive At Jail
- Netflix Announces Mike Epps Special, 'Chelsea Handler Does Racism’, More at TCA Press Tour
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here