*As we reported earlier, Princeton scholar Professor Cornel West was “upset” with the idea of President Barack Obama using MLK Jr.‘s Bible for his swearing in ceremony on Monday, ironically, the King holiday.
Besides King’s family being OK with it, President Obama says it was a privilege to take the oath of office using a Bible that had been owned by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
The president also paid respocet to the slain civil rights leader when he paused by a statue of King in the Capitol Rotunda after a luncheon hosted by members of Congress. He was accompanied by his wife, Michelle, and Vice President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, reports the AP.
“You know this is the first time I have seen this,” he said.
“I had the great privilege that the Bible we used was his Bible and they asked for it to be inscribed,” Obama said.
As we reported earlier, King’s Bible was one of two he used for the ceremonial inauguration.
The other Bible belonged to President Abraham Lincoln.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dr. Dre Wants 'Beats and Rhymes' Tour with Snoop, Eminem, Kendrick
- Lamar Odom Found Unconscious at Nevada Brothel; Doesn't Look Good: Report
- Najee Alli, NAN Pressure USC to Consider Hiring Black Coach
- [Watch] Teaser Trailer for Jesse Owens Biopic 'Race'
- Danny Sapani Plays ‘Berber the Moor’ in FX’s Drama 'Bastard Executioner'
- Tamera Mowry-Housely Has 'Goosebumps!' (Photos)
- Chris Bosh and Wife Adrienne Expecting Twins
- President Obama Crashes Wedding at San Diego Golf Course (Watch)
- Taraji P. Henson Slays November Cover of Essence
- Suge Knight Sneaks Birthday Message to Son During Court (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here