*As we reported earlier, Princeton scholar Professor Cornel West was “upset” with the idea of President Barack Obama using MLK Jr.‘s Bible for his swearing in ceremony on Monday, ironically, the King holiday.
Besides King’s family being OK with it, President Obama says it was a privilege to take the oath of office using a Bible that had been owned by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
The president also paid respocet to the slain civil rights leader when he paused by a statue of King in the Capitol Rotunda after a luncheon hosted by members of Congress. He was accompanied by his wife, Michelle, and Vice President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, reports the AP.
“You know this is the first time I have seen this,” he said.
“I had the great privilege that the Bible we used was his Bible and they asked for it to be inscribed,” Obama said.
As we reported earlier, King’s Bible was one of two he used for the ceremonial inauguration.
The other Bible belonged to President Abraham Lincoln.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Great Beginnings Hosts: 'It Takes a Village' to Celebrate Healthy Babies, Friday May 27
- THE (05-25-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Report: Tamar's Attitude Towards ('The Real') Producers Did Her in
- Ringside Update / A Triple Boxing Championship Weekend
- Soulja Boy Exaggerated $400M Payday from World Poker Fund
- Skai Jackson On Being Meme Worthy and Beef with Azealia Banks
- Loni Love Addresses Tamar Braxton Firing in New Video (Watch)
- Mariah Carey Re-Ups with Hallmark Channel for 3 More Films
- Oprah Advised Paul McCartney Against Kanye West Duet Over N-Word
- New Leadership at BET's ‘Being Mary Jane’: Will Packer Replaces EP Mara Brock Akil
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here