*Competing on “Survivor” turned out to be a good move for Lisa Whelchel.
The 49-year-old actress, suddenly back in the spotlight nearly 25 years after portraying spoiled prep school student Blair on “The Facts of Life,” has just landed a role in the upcoming, “Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas.”
“I play the role of Nancy Porter, the country school principal,” Whelchel tells People.com. “I’m having fun!”
After “Facts of Life” ended its run in 1988, Whelchel put her career on hold to raise her three children, acting in just two TV movies. (Her last role was a “Facts of Life” reunion in 2001.)
She returned to the spotlight last fall as a contestant on “Survivor: Philippines.” At the time, she told People that she was exploring new opportunities after her stint on reality TV. “I’d host,” she said. “I’d do a sitcom. Really, I’ve got a lot of opportunities.”
After placing second on “Survivor” – and winning an extra $100,000 as fan favorite – Whelchel signed with Hollywood agency David Shapira and Associates. Her audition for “Madea” was her first in 33 years; three hours after reading for the part, she was offered the role.
Whelchel tells People that she loves working on the film, which started production in Atlanta this week. “Tyler Perry is such a brilliant man,” she says. “He’s a nice guy, and so funny when he gets in his Madea garb.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Is This the REAL Reason Cam Walked Out of Press Conference? (WATCH)
- Misty Copeland's ‘Ballerina’s Tale’ Also Highlights the #BalletSoWhite Issue
- Ava DuVernay Being Courted to Direct Two Feature Films
- Taraji P. Henson Blames Coldplay/Maroon 5 Mixup on Her Friends (Watch)
- Gil Robertson: The 'African American Film Critics Association Awards' Interview with Kam Williams
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest in Vegas DUI Case
- ‘Black-ish’ To Address Police Brutality in Feb. 24 Episode
- J.Lo's 'Shades of Blue' Scores Second Season
- Lamar Sally: ‘Sherri Shepherd Has Made My Life A Living Hell’
- Super Bowl 50: As Seen From Beyonce’s Instagram
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here