*Competing on “Survivor” turned out to be a good move for Lisa Whelchel.
The 49-year-old actress, suddenly back in the spotlight nearly 25 years after portraying spoiled prep school student Blair on “The Facts of Life,” has just landed a role in the upcoming, “Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas.”
“I play the role of Nancy Porter, the country school principal,” Whelchel tells People.com. “I’m having fun!”
After “Facts of Life” ended its run in 1988, Whelchel put her career on hold to raise her three children, acting in just two TV movies. (Her last role was a “Facts of Life” reunion in 2001.)
She returned to the spotlight last fall as a contestant on “Survivor: Philippines.” At the time, she told People that she was exploring new opportunities after her stint on reality TV. “I’d host,” she said. “I’d do a sitcom. Really, I’ve got a lot of opportunities.”
After placing second on “Survivor” – and winning an extra $100,000 as fan favorite – Whelchel signed with Hollywood agency David Shapira and Associates. Her audition for “Madea” was her first in 33 years; three hours after reading for the part, she was offered the role.
Whelchel tells People that she loves working on the film, which started production in Atlanta this week. “Tyler Perry is such a brilliant man,” she says. “He’s a nice guy, and so funny when he gets in his Madea garb.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Taye Diggs on ‘Rosewood’ Gig: ‘I Knew It Was Going to Be Fun’
- RECAP: Empire (S2, Ep9) Sinned Against
- Jason Kidd Suspended for Slapping Ball Out of Ref’s Hand (Watch)
- Mariah Carey, Ex-Husband Nick Cannon Spend Thanksgiving Together
- Siri Gives Taraji P. Henson Attitude in New Apple Music Ad
- Provocative New Ebook Details Trump and the GOP’s Race Baiting History and the White House Race
- Put the 'Black' Back in 'Black Friday'
- Kerry Washington Gives Props to her Hubby: ‘The Real Gladiator’
- Look! Patti LaBelle and James Wright Chanel Together Eatin', Dancin & Singin' (VIDEO/PHOTOS)
- Thousands of Protesters Disrupt Black Friday in Chicago
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here