*Competing on “Survivor” turned out to be a good move for Lisa Whelchel.
The 49-year-old actress, suddenly back in the spotlight nearly 25 years after portraying spoiled prep school student Blair on “The Facts of Life,” has just landed a role in the upcoming, “Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas.”
“I play the role of Nancy Porter, the country school principal,” Whelchel tells People.com. “I’m having fun!”
After “Facts of Life” ended its run in 1988, Whelchel put her career on hold to raise her three children, acting in just two TV movies. (Her last role was a “Facts of Life” reunion in 2001.)
She returned to the spotlight last fall as a contestant on “Survivor: Philippines.” At the time, she told People that she was exploring new opportunities after her stint on reality TV. “I’d host,” she said. “I’d do a sitcom. Really, I’ve got a lot of opportunities.”
After placing second on “Survivor” – and winning an extra $100,000 as fan favorite – Whelchel signed with Hollywood agency David Shapira and Associates. Her audition for “Madea” was her first in 33 years; three hours after reading for the part, she was offered the role.
Whelchel tells People that she loves working on the film, which started production in Atlanta this week. “Tyler Perry is such a brilliant man,” she says. “He’s a nice guy, and so funny when he gets in his Madea garb.”
- Bokeem Woodbine Looking Like Shaft in ‘Fargo’ Season 2
- Louisiana Cop Exposed in KKK Photo Still On Force; Refuses to Resign
- Man Found With O.J. Simpson’s Stolen Heisman Trophy Arrested
- Afroman Avoids Jail After Punching a Woman in the Face
- ‘The Voice’ Beef: Gwen Stefani Not Happy With Rihanna’s ‘Advisor’ Role?
- Wendy Williams ‘Disappointed’ in Nicki Minaj Checking Miley Cyrus (Watch)
- Deborah Cox Joins Off-Broadway Play about Transgender Identity
- Farrah Franklin (Destiny's Child) Officially Debuts with Sexy New Single: 'Magic and Makeup'
- Black Family Says They Received Racist Threats During Camping Trip
- Prosecutors to Seek Death Penalty for Charleston Church Shooter
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here